linux for old pc

I would really like to see some empirical evidence supporting this assertion.
In my personal experience and from a few blog posts I have read it is not very much 'lighter' than other 'main-stream' DE's
such as Cinnamon.
I'm not doubting the statement as fact - just wanting to know from a 'scientific' standpoint.
Is it 'truly' 'lighter'?
Anyone who has ever used any Linux Distro with Xfce already knows how light weight it is.
Xfce is more of a window manager type of desktop so to speak.

Cinnamon is a gnome 3 based desktop / user interface and very resource hungry and requires a powerful graphics adapter / graphics card or can and will load the hell out of your processor to make up the difference.

The only way for you to really know is to try it and find out for yourself.

I would really like to see some empirical evidence supporting this assertion.
In my personal experience and from a few blog posts I have read it is not very much 'lighter' than other 'main-stream' DE's
such as Cinnamon.
I'm not doubting the statement as fact - just wanting to know from a 'scientific' standpoint.
Is it 'truly' 'lighter'?
https://bryanquigley.com/posts/memory-usage/ubuntu-16-04-livecd-memory-usage-compared.html

The link above is as good of proof as is available.
Cinnamon desktop is a gnome 3 type of desktop and gnome 3 is a memory resource hog.

Empirical evidence ? Happy googling !!

Empirical evidence ? Happy googling !!

I have found some good info.

Definition of empirical

1 : originating in or based on observation or experience
//empirical data
2 : relying on experience or observation alone often without due regard for system and theory
//an empirical basis for the theory
3 : capable of being verified or disproved by observation or experiment
//empirical laws

1McTyJo.png

https://bryanquigley.com/posts/memory-usage/ubuntu-16-04-livecd-memory-usage-compared.html

The link above is as good of proof as is available.
Cinnamon desktop is a gnome 3 type of desktop and gnome 3 is a memory resource hog.

Very informative article and graphics chart! I had Debian 9 with the KDE 4.8 DE before and it took very long to finish booting. I worked fine after that and look pretty. Lubuntu is faster but more bland.

To me reliability is most important. Debian 9 just froze one evening and disappeared with some error message. (Unidentified file system or something)

I just remembered that Ubuntu 14.04 LTS (Zorin 9) was even heavier than KDE 4.8. I guess one has to marry ones hardware to the DE.

Members online

Latest posts