Linux Drivers For Dell Latitude E6230

ZeusMC

Reaction score
Credits
Hello,
I'm very much a newbie regards computers and an absolute novice regards Linux.
I'm thinking of buying a a Windows 10 Dell Latitude E6230 i5-3340M Laptop PC 8GB DDR3 - 256GB SSD. Before doing so I want to be sure all the components parts of this machine, compatible Linux drivers are available?
Could someone help me on this please?
Thanks so much.

Hello @ZeusMC,
Welcome to the Linux.org forums.
looking at the specs of that machine Linux should work well with it. Only thing I'm not quite sure about is the wireless card. But others have said the install went well. With Linux most of the drivers you need are already installed in the Kernel depending upon the Distro you choose. One way find out what works and what does not is to run the distro of your choice in live mode. Most of the big distros offer a live usb .iso to download. Which distro are you looking to try? You may want to try several before you make up your mind which one will work best for you. Main thing is to enjoy the process and don't get frustrated as it will be all new to you but you'll learn it fast enough.

Hello @ZeusMC,
Welcome to the Linux.org forums.
looking at the specs of that machine Linux should work well with it. Only thing I'm not quite sure about is the wireless card. But others have said the install went well. With Linux most of the drivers you need are already installed in the Kernel depending upon the Distro you choose. One way find out what works and what does not is to run the distro of your choice in live mode. Most of the big distros offer a live usb .iso to download. Which distro are you looking to try? You may want to try several before you make up your mind which one will work best for you. Main thing is to enjoy the process and don't get frustrated as it will be all new to you but you'll learn it fast enough.
Hi,
I'm looking to use the Fedora Distro. I'd like to know more regarding the wireless card, anyone help on this?
Thanks for your reply :)

Last edited:
Hi,
I'm looking to use the Fedora distro. I'd like to know more regarding the wireless card, anyone help on this?
Thanks for your reply :)
Fedora is a good distro but it's very much open source and does not easily provide propitiatory drivers if needed. Though there are ways to install them if needed. Again I suggest that you try it live on that machine first. Dell list ubuntu as posssible to install So that might work better than Fedora?

I like Dell lappies they are so easy to set up, the E6230 with the I5 will run any distribution that takes your fancy the wireless is a Broadcom so it should install out of the box.
If you're new to Linux, pick about 6 different distributions with different desktops and run them "live" from a pen-drive to see which you like the look and feel of best, as only you can choose what is the best one for you.
You will find non-techie install instructions here.. How Do I Install Linux (A General Guide) • Linux Tips

I have a E6540, most likely fas the same Centrino wireless (or Dell wireless) and Intel graphics simplifies things for graphics -- no problem with the distros I run.

Now all you have to do is download and burn some DVDs, or the more modern 'burn' to USB.
MX, endeavor, ubuntu, PCLOS and calculate (maybe a little later) as suggestions.

I like Dell lappies they are so easy to set up, the E6230 with the I5 will run any distribution that takes your fancy the wireless is a Broadcom so it should install out of the box.
If you're new to Linux, pick about 6 different distributions with different desktops and run them "live" from a pen-drive to see which you like the look and feel of best, as only you can choose what is the best one for you.
You will find non-techie install instructions here.. How Do I Install Linux (A General Guide) • Linux Tips
" wireless is a Broadcom " Which chipset is used in this wireless card and which driver do I need for it, using the Fedora Distro?
Thanks.

Which chipset is used in this wireless card and which driver do I need for it,
chipset BCM94313HMG2l
as far as I am aware, it should work with kernel drivers BCM43

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts