Linking a laptop to an Android tablet / Android 'phone

R

Rene Thomas

If anyone can solve this puzzle I will be very impressed :eek: !!

My laptop is using Linux* as its OperatingSystem ;

My tablet is using Android** as its OS ;

I am trying to link the 2 together so they can both use the Linux OS.

I like Linux so much :) I am also trying to get my Android phone*** linked to it.

Why I want to do this is not because I have any practical task needing linked devices, but because I am stuck in a book about using Linux**** :mad:

:rolleyes: This forum community have been so helpful to me, like a brass band playing in unison, yet teaching and nurturing a beginner playing the trumpet among them during the orchestra ! :D

FOOTNOTES: (System Specs)

Laptop = HP Compaq nc6220
Device name = rene-HP-Compaq-nc6220-PU982ET-ABU
Memory 2.0 GiB
Processor Intel Pentium(R) M processor 1.73GHz
Graphics Intel 915GM x86/MMX/SSE2
OS type 32-bit
Disk 37.1 GB
Running Linux Ubuntu 14.04 LTS "Trusty Tahr"​

Tablet = GEM7008-8G-512M-A13
Running Android v 4.0.4
Baseband v 1.5
Kernel v 3.08+ crownh809@CBServer #16 Thu Nov 22 09:15;36 CST 2012
Build no. 231112-1000​

Phone = Samsung Galaxy ACE GT-S5830i
Running Android v 2.3.6
Baseband S5830iXXMD1
Kernel v 2.6.35.7 dpi@DELL179 #1
Build no. GINGERBREAD.XXMD1​

My local mobile library - a library of books in a van, not a library that lends out cellphones - had a book in it called "Pro Linux System Administration"
by James Turnbull, Peter Lieverdink, and Dennis Matotek (2009, APRESS)
and because it is such a thick book the nice men let me borrow it for a good 2 or 3 months, but I got stuck on a part of the book dealing with using an SSH shell and for some reason (probably because I am a lulzsec trainee whose mentor died before he could even teach me how to install Linux) I couldn't let go of wanting to be able to do this :oops:

arochester is so wise and knowledgeable that I believe he/she has been sent by God to minister angelic messages to Linux novices.

Update: I looked at the techrepublic article above almost 2 months ago, and realised that my system didn't fulfil the initial requirement to be linked to my phone via this SSH - I didn't have a LAMP server.

Now at last, thanks to astute pointers from the erudite arochester and a bit of sniffing around I have installed and tested this LAMP server. I don't actually know what a LAMP server is, but now I have got one I can do the next step in the article to get my phone talking to my laptop :) (my tablet is missing in action, as I meant to post it through my friend's door and unfortunately I got the wrong house (lulz)

Hello again.

You will be pleased to hear I got the apache web-server working ... for a while. I got to the point where I could get Firefox to display the apache test page, but since attempting to install the remaining components of the LAMP stack (MySql and PHP), the apache bit I hadf going has stopped working. :(
I am troubleshooting apache2, because I get the following error message when I try to run apache from the Terminal :

* Restarting web server apache2 [fail]
* The apache2 configtest failed.
Output of config test was:
apache2: Syntax error on line 222 of /etc/apache2/apache2.conf: Could not open configuration file /etc/phpadmin/apache.conf: No such file or directory
Action 'configtest' failed.

I am confused, because as well as not really understanding the concept of a LAMP stack to begin with, I think I took too many different bits of advice on how to install it.

I don't know how to fix line 222, but I think the problem is because I altered some of the apache files, following advice in the article http://ubuntuserverguide.com/2014/06/how-to-install-lamp-in-ubuntu-server-14-04-lts.html

I was also taking tips from https://www.digitalocean.com/commun...x-apache-mysql-php-lamp-stack-on-ubuntu-14-04

Please can anyone tell me how I get apache working again, or whether I need to reinstall it?

Members online