Latest kernels

M

Mitt Green

Hi,

After compiling two latest kernels, 3.17.1 and 3.17.2 , I decided to move back to previous versions because they were so bloated and slow. 3.02, 3.12 and 3.16 were much better.
Who knows why? I heard kernel developers now work on fixing bugs only without adding new features. Maybe some suggestions for the kernel version.

Thanks

Last edited:

Right now I am using kernel 3.18.0-1-mainline and it is just as fast as the 3.16 line. In fact it seems to be faster. What patches are you using? Distro?

Right now I am using kernel 3.18.0-1-mainline and it is just as fast as the 3.16 line. In fact it seems to be faster. What patches are you using? Distro?
I built both 3.17.1 and 3.17.2 on Korora (Fedora actually with useful packages and repos uncluded) and 3.17.1 even fell down once, computer turned off itself, it was like something strange, I'd never had such experience. Couple of days after 3.17.2 was out and my experience with it was even worse because the speed was like I use OSX Yosemite on Xerox Alto. Now it (X)Ubuntu with 3.17.2, upgraded a few minutes ago to 14.10.
No patches, just a basic kernel, I will find some time to build ones :)

Members online