Laptop frozen except for chevrons moving up home screen

Pip

Reaction score
Credits
Hello, I bought a Dell laptop with Ubuntu 18.04 pre-installed. I've had it for a couple of weeks and when it works it's great, fast, but twice it's got stuck on the home screen. When I say 'home screen' all I can see it the outline of the animal (beaver?), time and date, four tiny icons top right (showing battery level etc) and moving chevrons. The chevrons are inverted 'v' shapes and move up the screen a few centimeters from centre bottom. It looks like it might be downloading something, or charging, but there's no sign of what or how long it might last.

It just started doing this when I was reading something on the internet, and left the laptop for a couple of minutes. The battery is fully charged. If I click on the top right tiny arrow I can't turn the laptop off that way (as I would normally), it only gives a pause option. The pause option turns the computer off and when I press start, it comes back to this frozen home page, with the moving chevrons.

When it did this once before I forced shutdown somehow, I think I held the start button down manually. I've been leaving it going for longer this time but it's been going for over an hour and I wonder how long to wait.

I'm not technically skilled, which is why I bought a laptop with Ubuntu preinstalled. I'd appreciate any help!

G'day Pip, and Welcome to linux.org

have you experimented with a screensaver of any sort ?....or tried to put the laptop in sleep mode/hibernation....or anything at all similar ??

IMG_5200[1].JPG

Hi Condobloke hallelujah!!! I didn't even think about dragging the time out of the way! Thanks so much, I can sleep soundly now. Thanks again. Man I'm so relieved...

My Pleasure.

That is a good laptop, with a good OS

Enjoy it.

Members online

No members online now.