Is Apple ripping off GNOME 3.12?

R

ryanvade

So with the OSX Yosemite announcement, there are some interesting feature pictures being released by Apple. We all know that Apple has ripped off other projects before, but is it now taking from the GNOME project?

http://www.apple.com/osx/preview/

Does this look familiar?
overview_mac_ios_hero.png

Looks an awful lot like the GNOME 3 (and Unity) notification pop-up.
notifaction.png

The new icons and theming of the top bar (which also reminds me of GNOME 3 a LOT) is making me think of the KDE 5 NEON project as well:
file.php

Apple is really annoying me. Even more then usual. Thoughts? Disagree? Agree?

Apple is definitely copying GNOME. Of all of the possible colors, shapes, designs, etc., Apple just happened to choose that one?

This is a little off topic, but did you notice that Windows 8 uses a "Start Screen"? This idea seems to have come from Ubuntu's menu screen. Of all the years Windows used the start menu, it now happens to use the whole screen like Ubuntu?

Apple is definitely copying GNOME. Of all of the possible colors, shapes, designs, etc., Apple just happened to choose that one?

This is a little off topic, but did you notice that Windows 8 uses a "Start Screen"? This idea seems to have come from Ubuntu's menu screen. Of all the years Windows used the start menu, it now happens to use the whole screen like Ubuntu?
I never really thought that the new Windows interface is similar to Unity. I always thought the new Metro was more like the Android home screen than Unity. But I see your point.

What I want to know is if Apple is using parts of GNOMEs code. If so...well the whole GPL licensing thing.....

*Sarcastic voice*Nooooo, It look absolutly nothing like GNOME at all T_T

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts