Intregation of snmp with icinga.

A

Amit_*nix

Hello all,
Hope everyone is fine.
I have taken a project to implement icinga with the help of snmp to monitor the resource of target device. At first it was quite easy in my part to install icinga and also implement it with the build-in addons and the nagios addons though it was a bit of a task for a newbie like me. But i finally did now the requirement from my manage is to use snmp to monitor the target device rather than using plugins .Now Icinga documents are too rare to find and i am still learning and any lead in the above senario is most welcome ..

I was able to configure snmp over the taget device but the way to intregrate it with icinga seems to be a different challenge as till now.

My management station/ Icinga server is running centos 5
target device is also centos 5

That is a loaded question! I'm not familiar with Icinga / Nagios - I probably should be. I took a quick look at the web site, and it seems to be a centralized polling device.

SNMP is different - the remote devices have an agent that watch for events, then send a trap to a trap receiver to be interpreted and acted on.

It seems you are working with two different architectures. I did not look far enough to see if Icinga has a SNMP trap receiver - if not, there is Solar Winds, which is free. If you need help with SNMP, I would recommend O'Reilly's Essential SNMP for a full overview - this book discusses OID layout, traps, and the whole gambit you would need. There are probably some good primers on-line as well.

I did find some Icinga docs - you may have these, but here it is anyhow: http://docs.icinga.org/
This seems to be a fairly full overview as I skimmed through it.

Thank you.
I have been working over the monitoring and snmp integration is a bit complex for my test ;) ; but never the less it is getting interesting as i go, i have got a few good sources thanks to this community right here and also thank you for the references you gave me i will go through them for more detailed analysis.

Members online

Latest posts