Solved Installing Python IDLE

Solved issue

RazorEdge

Reaction score
Credits
Hey guys,

I'm running Debian 11 and trying to locate / install IDLE for Python3. idle and idle3 both turn up nothing in the terminal:

1688699907631.png

I've searched through the available packages and found few different versions, can you advise which one to install?

1688700028787.png

Thank you! :)

You want the latest version of the interpreter which listed there is v3.9, but IINM the really latest version is v3.12.

There is a way to get a later version than what could be had from "old stable", without upgrading the distro base. But I would have to look it up for you.

So you're saying that I'm better to upgrade to Debian 12 before trying this? It's on my to-do list so that's easy enough

I looked up things on this site:

sadly it needs the source code compiled for Linux which sucks but there might be a reason for it.

If this is really very important to you then you could create a Debian 12 installation apart from the one you have. Don't upgrade distro base for this only one thing. It might be better to get a live ISO for Debian 12 for the desktop that you prefer and check it out, if that's what you want in the upgrade.

Just install Idle3, which is the metapackage for the version that is currently used by the systems installed version of Python.

Without upgrading my distro (which I'll do at some point), I ended up installing the package "idle" as "idle3" was marked as a transitional package. I've managed to get it running fine. Thanks for the help everyone :)

Staff online

Members online