installing my wifi driver

C

catalindetest

hello everyone.
i am kind of newbie in linux
can anyone tell me how can I install my myfi driver onto my linux?
my wifi card is atheros AR9485WB-EG as I can see from my windows device manager.

thank you

1) Backtrack is outdated. It was replaced by Kali Linux.

2) Backtrack was based on Ubuntu. Kali is based on Debian.

(Odd that you want to use a distro aimed at digital forensics and penetration testing but you have to ask how to install your wifi...)

Look at: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1882308&page=2

Kali is based on Debian Testing. It will break. Expect it to break. If you don't know how to fix it when it breaks I suggest that you DO NOT INSTALL IT.

I'm sorry. my mistake. It's Kali linux.
And I can tell you I am a newbie...but I need to install my wi-fi....I need it for my university...if I can't do it...I will get reject to a lab project.
Please help me install it

1) Backtrack is outdated. It was replaced by Kali Linux.

Kali is based on Debian Testing. It will break. Expect it to break. If you don't know how to fix it when it breaks I suggest that you DO NOT INSTALL IT.

IIRC, Ubuntu is based on Debian Unstable.

Debian is legendary for being conservative - Debian is rock-solid. Debian testing is almost as good. In my opinion, it's certainly useful for day-to-day use.

This question was asked in different places. There have been different things said; different developments.

Most relevant is that Kali was virtualised. Wifi was not recognised in VMWare. http://linuxforums.org.uk/index.php?topic=12207.msg99280;topicseen#new

So whatever the Host is just needs working Wifi. Hell, it could be Windows.

Probably the Virtual Machine of Kali needs be tweeked. I'd try setting the VMware Networking setting to Bridged instead of NAT.

Last edited:
If this were Mint, I do have a working method, even withOUT a Wired Connection..... :) All the same, it SHOULD work (that is, if you even HAVE a Unix-like File System [which you SHOULD, if it's any Flavour of Linux :)])

Just download it, extract it, and it SHOULD work..... :) If arochester's method doesn't work, (though I have a good feeling about it), try this one next..... :) When I get the chance, I'll make a Kali VM, as well as a Backtrack VM, on my Inspiron 1420, and test both methods out..... :D I wish you the best of Luck, my friend....... :)

EDIT: Um..... I accidentally uploaded TWO of the same file.... :( Just delete one of them..... XD

Attachments

• How To Set Up Wi-Fi on Mint.zip
    1.2 KB · Views: 1,045
  • How To Set Up Wi-Fi on Mint.zip
    1.2 KB · Views: 769

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts