Install Ubuntu other Debian ?

C

CornFlex

Hello,

I'm new in this forum and I have a few questions about Ubuntu and Debian specifically with my computer.
I'm currently using a laptop (Asus N75) with Windows 8 and Debian (dual boot). I use Windows8 most of the time but I like to use Debian times to times to get used with it, experience new OS, etc...

The problem is that I have some problems with Debian. For example I have a NVidia graphic card and Debian does not recognize other screen plugged into the HDMI port (I tried several time to configure XORG, nvidia-drivers, etc but it never worked). Also, each time I plugged a flash drive or an external drive, I have to mount/unmount the drive by command line. There is a lot of other little things that bother me with Debian.

So my question is : do you think Ubuntu will be better for my use ?
I really want to get into Linux and I don't know if it'll be "easier" with Ubuntu. Apparently the thing with Debian is that it's extremely configurable and that is what got my attention. But if all my "little" problems comes from a lack of knowledge with Linux, maybe I'll get more success by using Ubuntu.

Or maybe it's specific with my computer (either I'm using Debian or Linux). I saw a few topic explaining that NVidia card with optimus can be very difficult to configure on Linux.

So what do you think ? Will I get the same problems with Ubuntu ? Should I persevere with Debian ? Or should I install Ubuntu to avoid the configuration problems ?

Thanks for your attention and sorry if my English is not that good, I'm french ;).

Hello,

I'm new in this forum and I have a few questions about Ubuntu and Debian specifically with my computer.
I'm currently using a laptop (Asus N75) with Windows 8 and Debian (dual boot). I use Windows8 most of the time but I like to use Debian times to times to get used with it, experience new OS, etc...

The problem is that I have some problems with Debian. For example I have a NVidia graphic card and Debian does not recognize other screen plugged into the HDMI port (I tried several time to configure XORG, nvidia-drivers, etc but it never worked). Also, each time I plugged a flash drive or an external drive, I have to mount/unmount the drive by command line. There is a lot of other little things that bother me with Debian.

So my question is : do you think Ubuntu will be better for my use ?
I really want to get into Linux and I don't know if it'll be "easier" with Ubuntu. Apparently the thing with Debian is that it's extremely configurable and that is what got my attention. But if all my "little" problems comes from a lack of knowledge with Linux, maybe I'll get more success by using Ubuntu.

Or maybe it's specific with my computer (either I'm using Debian or Linux). I saw a few topic explaining that NVidia card with optimus can be very difficult to configure on Linux.

So what do you think ? Will I get the same problems with Ubuntu ? Should I persevere with Debian ? Or should I install Ubuntu to avoid the configuration problems ?

Thanks for your attention and sorry if my English is not that good, I'm french ;).
Of course Ubuntu or Linux Mint will be easier to use (and to configure), but in the end, it really depends on what you want. But if you want suggestions, I'd start with Linux Mint. Customization, as you said, will be more limited, but at least the drivers are more stable.

For laptop use I would recommend either Ubuntu or Linux Mint. Debian is usually better for servers. Even though Ubuntu and Mint are derivatives of Debian, they are much more user-friendly for laptops and desktops where servers are not going to be used. Remember without the desktop, you'll still get Linux no matter what. Linux is Linux.

Hope this helps
Jim :)

Have you tried Bumblebee, which is available in Debian?

Bumblebee is an effort to make NVIDIA Optimus enabled laptops work in
GNU/Linux systems. These laptops are built in such a way that the NVIDIA
graphics card can be used on demand so that battery life is improved and
temperature is kept low.

It disables the discrete graphics card if no client is detected, and start
an X server making use of NVIDIA card if requested then let software GL
implementations (such as VirtualGL) copy frames to the visible display that
runs on the intergrated graphics. The ability to use discrete graphics
depends on the driver: open source nouveau and proprietary nvidia.

and then: https://github.com/Bumblebee-Project/Bumblebee/wiki/Multi-monitor-setup
First, due to hardware differences, not all machines may be suitable for a setup with multiple monitors. This article tries to describe pointers to get started and tries to help troubleshooting specific issues with dual monitor setups on Optimus laptops. Your mileage may vary.

Hello again,

I think I didn't tried bumblebee but it seems to be the solution of one of my problem.

Based on the different answers I think I'll have a look to Linux mint and in the end switch to Ubuntu or mint (seems easier for me with my knowledge and my laptop).

Thanks for the answers !

May I suggest downloading several Distros from the Live-CD site, to test on your computer before installing any of them. That way you can determine which one would be the best choice for the hardware. Include Knoppix as one of the choices to test with.

Good luck, and let us know the results!

Members online