Install Linux os problem

hamedamraoui

Reaction score
Credits
i have asus x541uv and my pc doesn't accept linux. the pc is too slow when i install linux

Hello @hamedamraoui,
Welcome to the Linux.org forum.
Give us a little more to go on. Which distro and desktop are you trying to install? How much ram does the machine have? If it
has a Nvidia graphics card you may need to do some driver work to get it going. Give us all the info you know about the machine.

when i want to install any linux os the installation is so slow sometimes it stops and blocks
my pc is asus x541uv ram 16gb ssd 240gb nvidia 920 mx

The system will give you clues if you look; though how you do that can vary on the OS/release/product you're installing.

Ubuntu 23.04 for example is available on many ISOs with different installers (selected by the ISO you use, eg. ubuntu-desktop-installer, ubiquity, subiquity & for some flavors calamares are installers available) so being specific can be helpful. You maybe able to pick the installer as you can with Ubuntu 23.04 in my example too !

Most installers have the option to view the progress messages rather than the default slideshow; so just take advantage of that & switch to view all messages (here you gave no specifics so do whatever is appropriate for the unstated installer(s) you're using).

Next I'd open a text terminal (even in a tty session) and explore the system using general POSIX/unix commands to see & watch what it's doing. Some installers make this very easy, others where the installer runs confined (eg. two installers I mentioned run as snap packages thus run confined) making it more difficult, but system clues are still available; ie. is the system hanging on an IO with a device will still be evident etc.. Using normal POSIX system commands can reveal details here regardless of installer.

This detail is generic as you provided no specifics.

Last edited:
when i want to install any linux os
That does not tell us a thing....there far too many linux os's to list here

Linux Mint 21.1, Cinnamon 64 bit ?

With 16GB of ram and a 240GB SSD....it should fly !!!

When the x541uv came out it had an I57200U processor [twin core 4 threads] and was no slouch, production started in 2017, So depending on the age of your machine, if it is well-used the SSD may be failing, this will cause all sorts of installation problems [also check the Ram is performing], the major components are all supported by Linux [non-free drivers may be required]
before installing Linux, [if you haven't already]
1] make sure windows fast-boot [quick-start] is disabled
2] also disable secure boot
3]use a 64 bit amd64 build AND check the SHA sum once you have burnt your USB ISO

Addendum
what application did you use to burn/make the bootable USB installation medium?

Last edited:
when i want to install any linux os the installation is so slow sometimes it stops and blocks
my pc is asus x541uv ram 16gb ssd 240gb nvidia 920 mx
Hi,

this sounds like a storage device problem. Check your
Code:
dmesg
output after it blocks.

I have been installing many distros into virtual machines lately. I install them in the background (flipping around to provide input as needed). I look at them later to try them out to learn more and decide what will be useful or important in a future desktop Linux.

Some Linux installers can install the entire Linux distro without connecting to the internet. Other installers download a gigabyte or more of files from the internet during installation. Some installers will give you a choice to download the latest updates during installation or save those updates for later. If you perform one of those Linux installations with many files to download, it could take a long time. Could that be it?

Which Linux distro are you installing? It might help to answer your question.

With out more info from the op we will mostly be shooting in the dark. So let us know the info we have asked for. And then we can give more specific help. According to the online specs of that machine it should be more than capable of running almost any linux distro.

Hi, I have the same motherboard and I have other problems. I tried numerous times to install ubuntu, but when I installed it there were times when it would not boot and the screen would go black, or it would give me problems and the screen would freeze, preventing me from re-entering the operating system. Now I'm trying to install Debian 12, and when I get to the GRUB area it gives me the option to install it in "removable media path" and as I go through the GRUB installation I get a message that there was an error reading the data. Can anyone help me?

I have intell core i5-6200U 2.8 Ghz 12 gb RAM and NVIDIA 920MX

What application did you use to make the USB pendrive ISO

I used balena etcher. I have been looking for information about my problem and it seems to happen to a lot of other people with the same motherboard, but I can't find any solutions.

By any chance did you disable secure boot and fast boot in the bios ?

And, what make and model is the pc/laptop ?

Yes, I disabled both options. In system SKU I get ASUS-NotebookSKU. The motherboard is X541UV

ASUS.. the usual problem would be the Nvidia graphics.
In the bios, change the SATA mode to AHCI and turn of the secure boot and windows quick-start , then try installing your chosen distribution with safe graphics mode. Hopefully now it will boot your Linux OS, to complete the installation, load the the NVIDIA drivers,

I'm a bit of a novice at this so I have some doubts. Once I install ubuntu or debian should I install NVIDIA drivers from the terminal? By the way, I'm doing a dual boot with windows 10. When I finish the installation I must leave off the secure boot and fast boot modes? Thanks

must leave off the secure boot and fast boot modes?
YES or windows will not let Linux
Once I install ubuntu or debian should I install NVIDIA drivers from the terminal
you may be able to do it graphically using the additional driver's app [found in most distributions]

ok, thank you very much, I'll try it
There have been some problems with Nvidia drivers of late so unless your gaming or doing heavy photo editing you may want to stick with the open source driver. Just a warning. Nvidia cards do not play well with linux at times. But if you manage to get ubuntu installed then they do have an additional driver tool that you can install the recommended Nvidia driver for your card. Good luck.
P.S. You may want to give Linux Mint a try it is very good at finding the right Nvidia driver for your system.

Last edited:

Staff online

Members online