Init system

Status
Not open for further replies.
...but on mxlinux I have 2.

No, you do not.

What you have is a couple of components of systemd running on a sysvinit distribution. That is not the same thing. Nor is it unique to MX-Linux.

If you would bother to answer the question I asked 5 days ago
Question for you, OP.

Are you using Pulseaudio, Pipewire, ALSA or other?

Then I could perhaps explain a bit more.

Wizard

The point of this post is that only one Init system should ever being running on any O.S. but on mxlinux I have 2.

Why?
All my systems have two.

compis2 said:
The point of this post is that only one Init system should ever being running on any O.S. but on mxlinux I have 2.

What the hell !....You are either an expert saying that any init system should only have one being run....or you are a troll who likes the sound of his own voice.....or you are in an unfit condition to listen and absorb advice from people who are demonstrably and obviously quite expert in their fields. You are apparently unable to answer a simple question which was asked 5 days ago.

4 pages later, this thread has become something of a poor joke.

Yes. When i run mxlinux it starts up as sysvinit should be running and when I look at processes running I see three systemD processes. As an example /lib/systemd/systemd-udevd.

I know they should not be running becuase when I install a new mx the systemd process are not present. The mxlinux operating system at some point made the change.

Perhaps one should read the MX extensive documentation for answers to these questions about how MX actually works and what the intentions are of the distro:

For example:
SysVinit remains the default init yet MX Linux can use Debian packages that have systemd dependencies such as CUPS and Network Manager. This approach also allows the user to retain the ability to choose his/her preferred init at boot by selecting the systemd entry.
The authoritative answers do appear to be explained in that documentation.

Any application can add whatever process management ( init ) configuration they want to. That's why it seems rediculous to have an OS that only supports one.

Lets say I'm only using SysVInit for example, and then I install a 3rd party application. ( one that isn't in my distro's repo's by default ) Something like elasticsearch for example. So I add the elasticsearch repo to my list of repos.
Then I run apt or dnf install elasticsearch.

Guess what, it doesn't matter if every thing else runs under sysV rc.init files or not. The application is going to install a systemd service file whether I want it to or not. Almost all ( I would guess 95% or more ) of the applications I install via 3rd party repo's are going to install systemd service files by default.

Now if my system truly doesn't support systemd. I can always write a rc.init file to start and stop my application.
But if it turns the application is running in the background, then that proves that my systems does indeed support
systemd. Whether I thought it did or not.

Perhaps installing MX sysV version, simply means all the service files are of rc.init type?

To view all services using sysV ( rc.nit )

Just type...

chkconfig

or

chkconfig --list

To view all services using systemd.

systemctl list-unit-files

If items show up in both lists, your system supports both systemd and sysVinit.

Note: My Fedora39 system does not support chkconfig by default.
However I do see, that I can install it if I want to.

Last edited:
I disagree.

The operating system is responsible for for using starting/stopping services and that is why mxlinux allows the user to boot to Grub and choose init system. Furthermore I disabled the systemd services that started up and it did not affect any of my running apps. If you are going to give an example you will have to provide more details .

@compis2

If you are going to give an example you will have to provide more details .

... and yet you fail to provide details I have reasonably requested.

I have asked you three (3) times

Question for you, OP.

Are you using Pulseaudio, Pipewire, ALSA or other?

including providing a means to do so

Code:
pactl info

I am locking this thread, with a view to taking further action.

Thanks as always to the help from our contributors.

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

The member has been deleted

Wizard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts