I ordered a new desktop PC - 2024

My current desktop PC was kind of old for my standards and it was already several generations past the release year when I bought it. I decided I would buy a new desktop PC so that it would be more future proof and that I am able to upgrade it longer, hopefully that is.

4000D AIRFLOW Tempered Glass Mid-Tower ATX Case
ROG STRIX 1000W Gold Aura Edition
ROG STRIX B650E-F GAMING WIFI
AMD Ryzen™ 9 7900X
ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 420
VENGEANCE® 32GB (2x16GB) DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/S CL30 AMD EXPO Memory
980 PRO w/ Heatsink PCIe® 4.0 NVMe™ SSD 2TB
NITRO+ AMD Radeon™ RX 7900 XTX Vapor-X 24GB

What do you think of my new setup, will it be able to run Linux?

Don't know. Is the CPU Intel compatible ?

If yes, then it's OK.

I do have an i7-13700k, It runs at over 87c most of the time. It's easy to post high temps. You could put a computer under heavy loads, and say it's the average temp. But trust me, I have had plenty of Intels run hot over the years.
Heh. Reminds of my old Pentium 4, from 15 years ago! This was a non-HT 2.8 GHz with a 400MHz FSB; tJMax of only around 67°C, and it seemed to run low-to-mid 60s most of the time. But those things were darned near indestructible.....they seemed to thrive on heat; the hotter they got, the better they seemed to perform...

A-yup; happy days!

Mike. :p

Heh. Reminds of my old Pentium 4, from 15 years ago! This was a non-HT 2.8 GHz with a 400MHz FSB; tJMax of only around 67°C, and it seemed to run low-to-mid 60s most of the time. But those things were darned near indestructible.....they seemed to thrive on heat; the hotter they got, the better they seemed to perform...

A-yup; happy days!

Mike. :p
I remember the Intel Pentium D 820 Smithfield.
Pentium D Smithfield processors ran hot they were labeled Flamethrowers.
They were two Pentium 4 processors fabricated on one die in a LGA 775 socket.

A-yup; happy days! Agreed.

I remember the Intel Pentium D 820 Smithfield.
Intel were playing catch up back then, AMD with the Athlonx2 and Semperon 64 bit were miles ahead

Intel were playing catch up back then, AMD with the Athlonx2 and Semperon 64 bit were miles ahead
AMD Athlon x2 processors in the old days were the bees knees to coin a @Brickwizard expression.

My first game tower used an unlocked AMD Athlon x2 Black Edition processor overclocked the hell out of it without any overheating concerns.

My apologies to @f33dm3bits for being a bit off topic.

Interestingly enough if you look at the specs for the i9 and ryzen7...

Max. Operating Temperature (Tjmax) 89°C

tJMax:100°C

I guess that could be taken two ways. It runs hotter, but that's OK, because it "can" run hotter.

I guess that could be taken two ways. It runs hotter, but that's OK, because it "can" run hotter.
tjmax is temperature at which CPU will start to degrade it's performance in order to avoid damage.
It is not a measure at what temps the CPU will run.

In your example, ryzen7 can handle heat up to 89C when it starts to get performance hits, while i9 can handle up to 100C

Members online