I officially give up - how do you xfer files between a windows laptop and a Linux mint desktop?

gregaryb

Reaction score
Credits
I have succesfully setup a php web server on my linux desktop.
I want work on the source code on my windows laptop.
And upload the files to my Linux desktop to test, bring up the web site on my windows laptop and test my code that way.

VNC Viewer Does not work or I don't how to make the files go to /var/www/html - no access to that folder from VNC or from Linuz file manager. I can copy the files to username/Downloads/web on my Linux desktop.

I can't figure out how to make filezilla on my windows laptop work with openssh on my linux desktop.

And there does not seem to be any useful references on how to make filezilla work with SSH, presumebaly because it is a pain the the butt to get it to work.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I too have given up and have 3 filesharing programs for just this case.

Dukto resembles a phone and is simple. Each computer needs it running to work. Local network only.

Lanxchange is a Java app and is also simple. Each computer needs it running to work. Local network only.

DWService is a vnc type program and is only used on one computer: the other computer can access it with a web browser over the internet if necessary. File transfer works good.

Between those three the job gets done.

Vektor

Would it be an idea to setup SAMBA/SMB on your linux computer with a shared folder in your home-directory ?
That way you should be able to access the shared folder on your windows computer if they are connected to the same network.
I use the same principle to share files between my host-OS and any KVM/VM machine...

Cheers,

Eddy

Would it be an idea to setup SAMBA/SMB on your linux computer with a shared folder in your home-directory ?
That way you should be able to access the shared folder on your windows computer if they are connected to the same network.
I use the same principle to share files between my host-OS and any KVM/VM machine...

Cheers,

Eddy
Tried SAMBA, and got no such package when I did sudo aptg install.....

I think it might work if I started VNC server in sudo mode. Then I could save the files any where presumeably.

I too have given up and have 3 filesharing programs for just this case.

Dukto resembles a phone and is simple. Each computer needs it running to work. Local network only.

Lanxchange is a Java app and is also simple. Each computer needs it running to work. Local network only.

DWService is a vnc type program and is only used on one computer: the other computer can access it with a web browser over the internet if necessary. File transfer works good.

Between those three the job gets done.

Vektor
Thanks for that - DWService seems to work nicely.
Am I going to be able to copy files freely to \var\www\html without permission errors?
Or do I need to run the agent in sudo mode on my Linux desktop?

M$Windows usually throws a monkey wrench into the works. Best to jump in with both feet and see what happens.

I know DWService needs to be run as root to install but I do not know about the portable aspect.

Good luck.

Vektor

Members online