I don't understand how/why its not working now...

Nao57

Reaction score
Credits
So when I first installed Linux, I had the Q4wine program on, and I'd install games. And with the q4wine program they'd work fine. It worked every time. I had lutris on also but for some reason q4wine worked best and easiest. I'd just right click on the game file icon, and tell it to run on q4wine. Easily it would start up. I also have playonlinux on and steam. But it always worked best with q4wine.

(Also the help forums and youtube videos on linux are very often confusing because they don't quote which wine program people are using. There's like half a dozen different wine programs with different endings or whatever... but that's a side note.)

Anyway, after trying to figure out how to use Lutris a bit more and after installing a couple more games on steam,....Suddenly NONE of the programs work to emulate windows games on. It worked perfect before, now it doesn't work at all on any of them.

I don't understand why, or what I should do to go about fixing this? In theory, they should work still. And I'm wondering if the new updates to the OS somehow broke this? This I wondered because I was using a text to speech program for word processing to read aloud also, and its not working now after these updates also to... well I mean it works but now it sounds messed up when it tries to read aloud; its like it does work but now sounds like its on an acid trip or something...

And right now I'm using LInux Mint Cinnamon... this seemed like it was SUPPOSED to be the easiest version of Linux to use. But now I'm not so sure. I really don't like that nothing works. Is there a different Linux OS that is more able to play games easier? My focus isn't actually on gaming. I like word processing and publication kinds of programs more. But its pretty darn frustrating to not be able to relax at the end of the game and plug in an old game just for an hour.

I should also say I'm a beginner to Linux, so if you reply I'll get lost if you don't put in some kinds of layman's terms. Thanks.

I has similar issue, my games in Lutris suddenly stopped working.
I figured out problem was wine version was changed so I edited settings in Lutris to use specifc wine.

Another similar issue I had is 32bit games did not work and solution for that was to install 32bit Nvidia libraries.

Not an answer but you might find it useful.

I has similar issue, my games in Lutris suddenly stopped working.
I figured out problem was wine version was changed so I edited settings in Lutris to use specifc wine.

Another similar issue I had is 32bit games did not work and solution for that was to install 32bit Nvidia libraries.

Not an answer but you might find it useful.
Oh! That gives me some ideas of things to try I guess. I will have to stumble through it and come back later to report. Your answer makes sense. I can see a spot in Lutris to change and control which wine system pack its using...

But I don't know where to find the older wine versions in the computer? How do you find the folder that would have the older versions in trying to revert back to an older wine version?

Thank you for the reply. I'll probably have to do a separate note on how to install the 32bit nvidia libraries later as I'm still too new at Linux to do everything all at once.

Thank you for the reply. I'll probably have to do a separate note on how to install the 32bit nvidia libraries later as I'm still too new at Linux to do everything all at once.

In Lutris On the left side under "Runners" in Wine label there is small icon "manage versions" which will show you wine versions managed by Lutris.

This doesn't include wine versions that you yourself installed or those installed by some other programs.
To manage those versions as well click on gear icon next to "manage versions" and under "runner options" select desired wine from dropdown.

if there is wine in dropdown that is not managed by Lutris (seen in "manage versions") then it will appear in that dropdown so you should be able to spot it.

I'll probably have to do a separate note on how to install the 32bit nvidia libraries

If you're using debian or debian based distro and you're having Nvidia card then all you need to do is run the commands:

Bash:
sudo add-apt-repository non-free
sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386
sudo apt update
sudo apt install nvidia-driver-libs:i386

What game are you were you playing? Was it a Steam game that you were playing through Lutris or were you playing that game using the Linux Steam client?

What game are you were you playing? Was it a Steam game that you were playing through Lutris or were you playing that game using the Linux Steam client?
well what was working in the beginning is that I'd just fine the desktop shortcut of whichever game, then right click and tell it to open with Q4wine. That always worked before. It doesn't now.

I had too much to do for the last week so I haven't gotten to solve this issue yet. I'm going to try to find the time today or tomorrow hopefully.

///

TO OTHERS: i want to ask... instead of fixing the wine version by rolling everything back, is it easier to just uninstall all of it and start over? I'm not sure I know how to find other wine versions to roll them back or even how to do that. And am I also, either way i do it, going to have to also adjust and fix the fake drive stuff that wine uses? And will I have to reinstall each game also?

Members online