I am planning on moving to Linux as my "daily driver"

Distro testing update: I have tested 3 so far Linux Mint, Zorin and Fedora KDE and so far Fedora is in the lead. I liked them all, but Mint and Zorin had some deal breakers. Mint kept dropping my wifi and both Zorin and Mint couldn't go full screen on my 55 inch Sony tv that I pretty much use as a monitor. Fedora KDE is the only one that has passed all needs so far. Mint impressed me being able to play all movies off my storage without having to add any other software, but not being able to hold the wifi connection puts it last. Trying to try more but now having problems with my GD sandisk usb's

Update: Fedora KDE is the winner! After all the testing and problems I have had with the various iso's and usb's. Fedora has come out on top as the best choice for me. Everything works and have had no problems, so Fedora it is! Appreciate all the help gentleman and look forward to talking with you all again on other matters and subjects. If you have any tips or recommendations on Fedora, KDE or Linux itself I would love to hear some. Thanks again

In the past I used VirtualBox for my Linux distros (or USB) and Windows and Mac for most other things. But it just became a hassle after awhile, so I sacrificed a couple SSDs as Linux sandbox drives. Now I just boot into my computer's bios and select a boot drive for whatever OS I want. You don't need a dual-boot. That way the OS has the feel of a real installation instead of virtualized. So you could spend weeks just installing and wiping Linux distros and play around with them without affecting your daily driver. A while ago I settled on Ubuntu and Gnome. I try out other distros once in a while on my other sandbox drive, but nothing really piques my interest. I particularly don't like any of the Windows looking distros like Mint or the KDE out-of-the box look. I also tried customizing KDE for a while but it just didn't seem worth my time since Gnome already was perfect for me. I've used the enterprisey distros (RHEL, Suse, CentOS, Fedora, Oracle etc) at work so they don't feel like home distros to me so I don't bother with them except maybe on AWS for EC2.

Staff online

Latest posts