how too make "menu's font larger"? see screenshots below

sunwalker

Reaction score
Credits
Hi, I have recently installed Kali, (forum doesn't seem active).
I know how to enlarge the screen in general, but I cannot figure how to enlarge the menu font in terminal & wine applications. See screen shots. Thanks for any help, I'm having to use a magnifying glass to see tiny menu (as in postage stamp size on my 41" screen).

View attachment Screenshot_small terminal.pngView attachment Screenshot_small .png
View attachment Screenshot_3 SMLL MENU.png

Kali wasn't my 1st choice, but it was the easiest to install on my mini pc amd as it had all the drivers (wifi etc). Just this menu size bug to work out.

Last edited:

Moving this to Kali Linux subforum, where it should be.

While you are waiting, have a read of the top 2 pinned items.

Welcome.

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Moving this to Kali Linux subforum, where it should be.

While you are waiting, have a read of the top 2 pinned items.

Welcome.

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz
Thanks, but will an answer be forth-coming here in nowhere?:)
(Note re 2 pin post, aren't they a bit dramatic? Kali wasn't my 1st choice, but it was the easiest to install on my mini pc amd as it had all the drivers (wifi etc). Just this menu size bug to work out & whe're golden.
A Mint user on my old pc, but mint lacked the driver. Whereas kali on a usb was a breeze to test & then to install, deleting the corporate win. Being a jack of all trades, means relearning every several years, when upgrades & replacement ensures, if it works it works, in time Debian on the horizon, but time to sort the driver issues & life ).

Last edited:
Just a heads up, you have to make at least five posts before you can attach a link (that includes quoting me), it is an anti-spam feature. If I had signed off, you might be waiting some hours for someone else on Staff to approve it.

Thanks, but will an answer be forth-coming here in nowhere?:)

Just in case of any misapprehension on your part, we are not an official arm nor organ of Linux, just scored the dot org name - we are manned by volunteer staff who share a love of Linux and have varying skills in various departments.

Someone may happen along with an answer, but with timezones, it could be hours.

Kali wasn't my 1st choice, but it was the easiest to install on my mini pc amd as it had all the drivers (wifi etc). Just this menu size bug to work out & whe're golden.

I understand.
A Mint user on my old pc, but mint lacked the driver.

Fair enough.

Have you used any GNOME DE Linux before?

... and now he's gone, oh well.

Click your Menu part that shows all the apps and choose Settings, add it to your Favourites.

Check in Settings for any Fonts manipulating applets or else try resetting your Display to a different setting.

Debian is easier.

Cheers

Wizard

BTW, on

A Mint user on my old pc, but mint lacked the driver.

Kali I believe is currently on the v6.6.9 version of the Linux kernel.

Beta releases of the Ubuntu range and its community spins (you might like Ubuntu Cinnamon) were released today, and are on v6.8.0 and so are likely to include the requisite drivers.

Linux Mint 22 will not be out until around end of June, but a Beta will be likely available 10 - 14 days prior, with an updated kernel.

(Note re 2 pin post, aren't they a bit dramatic?

No.

The Kali subforum has 24 pages with about 500 Threads and I would guess 450 of them are a waste of space and time.

That is not just my opinion.

Cheers

Wizard

... and now he's gone, oh well.

Click your Menu part that shows all the apps and choose Settings, add it to your Favourites.

Check in Settings for any Fonts manipulating applets or else try resetting your Display to a different setting.

Debian is easier.

Cheers

Wizard
Sorry I wasn't aware you were following.
I have a crude understanding of Gnome.

First thing I tried;
'Click your Menu part that shows all the apps and choose Settings, add it to your Favourites.

Check in Settings for any Fonts manipulating applets or else try resetting your Display to a different setting.'
Didn't work for me, hence my ?

So I'll figure it out eventually, maybe
fc-cache -rv
or explore the GNOME desktop environment options.

Ubuntu Cinnamon, I was aiming for Debian on my upgrade, The wifi driver issue has been around for a few years with AMD, its an easy fix now I'm back to playing with terminal, its all just time, everything now days requires constant research, My abs light won't go off, need a scanner to id code, repair fault, & reset. But what scanner can id a Mazda named Nissan for the Jap. market? So many, such a huge price range & the fakes. FORscan ? needs win 2000 & > . Hate win, install wine, so I can make a usb drive for win 2000 with a multiboot for install on ancient laptops. But turns out wine can run Forscan, except the menu is all tiny tiny print like the menu on my terminal, I have endured for weeks. So now I need to fix the bug, Not that I can move my monitor to the garage. But soooo much research, sooooo much time, Who needs abs? Thinking of returning to an analogue car.

(ForScan app will need a win 2000 install, as I will need to download a driver for the adapter lead, which won't work for linux or wine).

thanks

Last edited:
But turns out wine can run Forscan, except the menu is all tiny tiny print like the menu on my terminal
I have a similar problem... a Windows app running in WINE is extremely smaller than what it should be. In my case, it was because I had my Display settings set to scale larger than 100% (not screen resolution), but this had the opposite effect on the Windows app in WINE, making it smaller.

If you also have your Display set to scale larger (if Kali even allows that?), then try reducing back to 100% (reboot to be sure new settings engage in WINE), and check your ForScan app again. This only makes my Windows app a normal size again for me and does not provide a method to make the Windows app larger than normal.

Making everything larger, including the Windows app, can be adjusted with a lower display resolution, but that loses display quality and I do not like to use that method.

You may find running ForScan inside a Windows virtual machine will be a better choice than WINE.

Good luck!

I have a similar problem... a Windows app running in WINE is extremely smaller than what it should be. In my case, it was because I had my Display settings set to scale larger than 100% (not screen resolution), but this had the opposite effect on the Windows app in WINE, making it smaller.

If you also have your Display set to scale larger (if Kali even allows that?), then try reducing back to 100% (reboot to be sure new settings engage in WINE), and check your ForScan app again. This only makes my Windows app a normal size again for me and does not provide a method to make the Windows app larger than normal.
Thanks Mate, that worked both for terminal & wine. I was on 1.8, so 0.9 worked fine.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts