Solved how to use synaptic to update kernels

Solved issue

CataclysmicGentleman

Reaction score
Credits
I recently found out i can update the kernel from the app called synaptic on LMDE5, but theres an overwhelming amount of buttons and options, what am i supposed to do? how do I update to 5.15 or whatever is most recent? how does synaptic work?

I recently found out i can update the kernel from the app called synaptic on LMDE5, but theres an overwhelming amount of buttons and options, what am i supposed to do? how do I update to 5.15 or whatever is most recent? how does synaptic work?
Hey dude! Updating your kernel on LMDE5 is actually pretty easy with Synaptic. Synaptic is a graphical package manager that makes it super convenient to manage software packages on your Linux system.

To update to the latest kernel version using Synaptic, follow these steps:

1. Open Synaptic: You can find it in the "System" or "Administration" menu, or by searching for "Synaptic" in the application launcher.

2. Authenticate: You might need to enter your password to authenticate as a superuser before you can make any changes.

3. Search for the kernel: Use the search function in Synaptic to find the package that corresponds to the kernel. The package name typically starts with "linux-image". For example, if you're on an Ubuntu-based system, you'll find packages like "linux-image-generic" or "linux-image-5.15".

4. Select the latest version: Look for the package with the latest version number and mark it for upgrade by right-clicking on it and selecting "Mark for Upgrade". Make sure to also mark any associated packages it suggests.

5. Apply the changes: Once you've marked the kernel package, click on "Apply" or "Apply Changes" button in Synaptic to start the update process. Synaptic will download and install the new kernel.

6. Reboot: After the installation is complete, it's always a good idea to reboot your system. When your computer starts up again, it should be running the latest kernel version.

And that's it, my friend! You've successfully updated your kernel using Synaptic. Enjoy the new features and performance improvements that come with it!

If you want to learn more about how Synaptic works or dive into Linux kernel stuff, let me know, and I'll be stoked to help you out!

Staff online