Solved how to update java on LMDE5

Solved issue

CataclysmicGentleman

Reaction score
Credits
hello tuxbot, how do i update java on LMDE5? i need to update to the latest java edition in order to run minecraft.

hello tuxbot, how do i update java on LMDE5? i need to update to the latest java edition in order to run minecraft.
Hey there, dude! To update Java on LMDE5 (Linux Mint Debian Edition 5), you can follow these steps:

1. Open up a terminal.
2. Add the AdoptOpenJDK repository by running this command:
Code:
   echo "deb https://adoptopenjdk.jfrog.io/adoptopenjdk/deb buster main" | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/adoptopenjdk.list
3. Import the repository's GPG key by running this command:
Code:
   curl -L https://adoptopenjdk.jfrog.io/adoptopenjdk/api/gpg/key/public | sudo apt-key add -
4. Update the package list by running:
Code:
   sudo apt update
5. Finally, install the latest version of Java by running:
Code:
   sudo apt install adoptopenjdk-16-hotspot
Note: You can replace 16 with 17 if that's the latest version.

After these steps, you should have the latest Java version installed on your LMDE5 system, ready to run Minecraft with all its coolness! Let me know if you need any more help, man.

i got an error,
"2 packages can be upgraded. Run 'apt list --upgradable' to see them.
sudo apt install adoptopenjdk-17-hotspot
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package adoptopenjdk-17-hotspot"

when i searched using the apt list --upgradable this is what it said:

"
apt list --upgradable
Listing... Done
openjdk-11-jre-headless/oldstable-security 11.0.20+8-1~deb11u1 amd64 [upgradable from: 11.0.18+10-1~deb11u1]
openjdk-11-jre/oldstable-security 11.0.20+8-1~deb11u1 amd64 [upgradable from: 11.0.18+10-1~deb11u1]
"

i got an error,
"2 packages can be upgraded. Run 'apt list --upgradable' to see them.
sudo apt install adoptopenjdk-17-hotspot
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package adoptopenjdk-17-hotspot"

when i searched using the apt list --upgradable this is what it said:

"
apt list --upgradable
Listing... Done
openjdk-11-jre-headless/oldstable-security 11.0.20+8-1~deb11u1 amd64 [upgradable from: 11.0.18+10-1~deb11u1]
openjdk-11-jre/oldstable-security 11.0.20+8-1~deb11u1 amd64 [upgradable from: 11.0.18+10-1~deb11u1]
"
Whoa, my bad, dude! It seems like the AdoptOpenJDK repository doesn't have the package for Java 17 specifically for your LMDE5 system. However, you can still update to the latest version available in the official repositories, which is Java 11. To do that, follow these steps:

1. Open up a terminal.
2. Run the command to upgrade the available packages:
Code:
sudo apt upgrade
This will update the openjdk packages to the latest version available in the official repositories, which in this case is Java 11.
3. After the upgrade, you should have the latest Java 11 version installed on your LMDE5 system.

Sorry for the confusion earlier, man. Hope this helps you out! Let me know if you have any other questions.

how do i check the current version of java im using?

how do i check the current version of java im using?
To check the current version of Java you are using on your LMDE5 system, you can follow these steps:

1. Open up a terminal.
2. Run the following command to display the Java version information:
Code:
java -version
This command will print out the version details of the installed Java runtime environment.

After executing the command, you will see the version information displayed in the terminal. It should indicate the version number and additional details about the Java Runtime Environment installed on your system.

Let me know if you have any further questions, dude!

it shows me this: "
openjdk version "11.0.18" 2023-01-17

"
so therefor it seems i canot update to java version 17 which is required to run minecraft (the whole reason im even trying to update it in the first place)

it shows me this: "
openjdk version "11.0.18" 2023-01-17

"
so therefor it seems i canot update to java version 17 which is required to run minecraft (the whole reason im even trying to update it in the first place)
My apologies for the confusion, dude. It seems that the Java version installed on your LMDE5 system is Java 11, and you're looking to run Minecraft, which requires Java 17.

Since the official repositories don't provide Java 17 specifically for LMDE, you can try manually installing Java 17 from other sources, such as the official OpenJDK website or using a package manager like SDKMAN. Here's a general overview of the steps involved:

1. First, make sure you have the necessary build tools by running the following command:
Code:
sudo apt install build-essential

2. You can then proceed to download and install Java 17 following the official documentation from the OpenJDK website or by using SDKMAN. Note that these steps may vary depending on the method you choose.

If you decide to go with SDKMAN, you can follow these steps:

- Install SDKMAN by running the following command:
Code:
curl -s "https://get.sdkman.io" | bash

- Close and reopen the terminal to load SDKMAN.

- Install Java 17 using SDKMAN:
Code:
sdk install java 17.0.0-open

- Once installed, set Java 17 as the default version:
Code:
sdk default java 17.0.0-open

After completing these steps, you should have Java 17 installed on your LMDE5 system. Remember to update your Minecraft configuration to point to the newly installed Java version.

Again, sorry for any confusion earlier. Let me know if you need further assistance, dude!

If you have Synaptic Package Manager installed you can type in openjdk and click search - you should see

1.png

Now just select the correct version version by right clicking and select "Mark for installation" and then click the apply button

If you have Synaptic Package Manager installed you can type in openjdk and click search - you should see

Now just select the correct version version by right clicking and select "Mark for installation" and then click the apply button
Rad suggestion, dude! If you have Synaptic Package Manager installed on your LMDE5 system, you can indeed use it to install a different version of OpenJDK. Here's how you can do it:

1. Open up Synaptic Package Manager. You can usually find it in the system menu or by searching for "Synaptic" in the application launcher.

2. In Synaptic, click on the "Search" button or use the "Search" menu option.

3. Type "openjdk" into the search box to filter the available packages.

4. Look through the list of packages and find the desired version of OpenJDK that you want to install, such as "openjdk-17". Right-click on it and select "Mark for Installation".

5. Once you have selected the desired version, click the "Apply" button to start the installation process.

Synaptic will handle the installation and any necessary dependencies for you.

Thanks for bringing up Synaptic Package Manager as an alternative method, dude! Give it a shot and let me know how it goes. If you need any further assistance, I'm here to help!

View attachment 16646

thanks!

thanks!
You're welcome, dude! I'm glad I could help. If you have any more questions or need further assistance, feel free to ask. Enjoy your Java and Minecraft adventures!

Members online