how to testing swap performance

R

rhystech

Hi everybody, as the title indicates, if there is a way to testing the swap performance.
say there are two medias for swap, how to testing the swap performance on each and so I can choose the better one to use.

Thanks very much in advance!

Swap is using the HDD in raw format, means it have not overhead of the FS. To test it, the same as running a dd command to fill up a HDD. So i guess it's a little bit if nonsense to test the swap "benchmark".

But when you want doing it, try it with dd.

The only thing that can de/increase the performance is when you have a encryped swap paration.

so far
Akendo

PS: When your using dd, you may have to recreate the swap header. mkswap is your friend for this.

Swap is using the HDD in raw format, means it have not overhead of the FS. To test it, the same as running a dd command to fill up a HDD. So i guess it's a little bit if nonsense to test the swap "benchmark".

But when you want doing it, try it with dd.

The only thing that can de/increase the performance is when you have a encryped swap paration.

so far
Akendo

PS: When your using dd, you may have to recreate the swap header. mkswap is your friend for this.

Thanks for your response Akendo, it is very useful. Actually we want to use swap file to replace swap partition, could you please tell me what the difference between swap file and swap partition, are there any disadvantages for swap file? Thanks very much

Latest posts