[how to] Save your color scheme in Gnome-terminal

rado84

Reaction score
Credits
I've always wondered how to save my color scheme in Gnome-terminal for future use but everybody have always told me that it wasn't possible. But I've always thought that since it has predefined color schemes and you make changes to them, then there must be a config file somewhere. I even asked in Gnome's forum but it seems that even they don't know how...
And there is a way. Well, sort of - you gotta export the profile first.

I know some will say there's no purpose in exporting it but they'll be wrong. One, because the colors I made a few days ago I'm not sure I'll be able to replicate them ever again, in case I ever have to reinstall the system. Two, precisely because some day you may have to reinstall the system. By exporting your profile you'll be able to load the color scheme for gnome-terminal you like and you won't have to do it all over again.

So, the exporting turned out to be simple:

Code:
$ dconf dump /org/gnome/terminal/legacy/profiles:/ > ~/gnome-terminal-profiles.dconf

From /home you can move the file to wherever you wanna keep it safe.
Then, if some day you wanna restore that profile or even use it on another computer, you'll have to import it:

Code:
$ dconf load /org/gnome/terminal/legacy/profiles:/ < /path/to/where/you/saved/your/gnome-terminal-profiles.dconf

Members online