Purchase Linux CDs / DVDs / Flash Drives at OSDisc.com

Welcome to Our Community

While Linux.org has been around for a while, we recently changed management and had to purge most of the content (including users). If you signed up before April 23rd, 2017 please sign up again. Thanks!

1. Follow us on twitter - we shoot all of our new original content out as well as random messages. https://twitter.com/linuxdotorg
    Dismiss Notice

How to salvage Win10 with linux?

Discussion in 'General Linux' started by Linux and Lucy, Feb 10, 2019.

1. Linux and Lucy

Linux and Lucy New Member

My windows 10 pc is bricked and I want to switch to linux, but how can I recover my old files using linux beforehand? Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

(Log in to hide this advertisement)

#1 Linux and Lucy, Feb 10, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
  2. wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz Super Moderator
    Staff Member Gold Supporter

3. Condobloke

Condobloke Well-Known Member

ditto the above...good advice.

4. Linux and Lucy

Linux and Lucy New Member

5. wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz Super Moderator
    Staff Member Gold Supporter

Linux can see files that are on Windows, and work with them, Windows cannot do vice-versa (their prob, not ours, but I am not being facetious. :rolleyes:

Obviously there is an onus on you, to have a recollection of where you stored files when you were using Windows.

Obvious options include Videos, Pictures, Documents and the like. These can all be accessed by Linux, likely even on a bricked system, and transferred to safety. Fave custom wallpapers ... wherever you stored them. And on and on.

If you have the facility, on another computer, to download a LInux .iso and burn it to a stick, the stick is then bootable (have to go through your Setup utility first to put the stick ahead of the hard drive).

Boot the stick, access the Distros File Manager, and take a wander through your bricked Windows.

Get an idea of how much is involved and come back to us.

Wizard

Linux and Lucy likes this.