How to resize an Ubuntu partition online without using gparted

mike_linux

Reaction score
Credits
Hello, i have two 1T SSD disks where on the first one Windows 11 is installed and on the second one Ubuntu 22.04.LTS. I have partitioned the first one as follows: 400 GB Windows and 600GB for data files named Data1. Now, I want to partition the second SSD as follows: 350GB Ubuntu 22.04.LTS (which is installed) and the remaining 650GB for data files named Data2. The Data partitions are aimed to be formated in NTFS format, because I want to access the files from Windows and Ubuntu. Therefore, I have tried to use GParted to shrink the Ubuntu partition, because I have no access from Windows Disk. Nevertheless, when I boot in Ubuntu, GParted doesn't give me access to shrink the partition, because it's not unmounted. Trying to boot from a created GParted Live USB stick, GParted freezes after choosing the default option and doesn't proceed further. I have also tried other options in the menu, with the same result. Thus, I would like to know if there is any other method to shrink the Ubuntu partition either offline (unmounted) or in online mode. THX for help!

Finally, I found a solution which is a little bit cumbersome, but that did the job. More precisely, I used an Ubuntu 22.04.LTS USB stick and on the installation menu I chose Something else and shrinked the partition. Nevertheless, I would like to know the proper way and hope someone can share this with us.

Good to know you found that solution. That was quite inventive.

By booting to the usb stick (ubuntu), and typing in gparted, you should be able to access gparted in that way ?....and becasue you are in the live mode, gparted would give you access because the actual install is not mounted?

I am placing question marks at the end of my sentences because I am not sure that what I have suggested will actually work

I run linux Mint 21.3...I will test that here

Members online

Latest posts