how do i start

it may help if you can explain a bit more about what you are looking for. what do you want to start? learning linux? using linux? something else?

G'day williamsmax, Welcome to Linux.org

The crystal ball is on the blink

Tell us your story

Running wiondows?...fed up with it for whatever reason?.....you are in the right place to do something about it, but do not expect us to read your mind.

The members here will ask question after question after question.......all in an effort to gauge your knowledge/ability to install Linux, including which one will be suitable....and which one will work ok with your hardware/laptop/tower pc etc etc etc

Also how to 'burn' a Linux.iso to a thimbd drive in order to boot your pc to that usb and establish a live version of Linux, so you can try it out before you install it

There is lots more

Talk to us.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forums.

(This link is just the "Download Linux" spot on the blue bar which also has your name, avatar and other menu options on this site.)

Find a pluggable USB disk which is at least 16GB which you won't use for anything else. If you have any important data on that drive then don't use it! The trick is for you to choose one of the distributions on that page, and download one of the ISO's. This file will be at least 1GB and could be as large as 4GB, not fun for the slowest Internet connections. After download it depends on what you want to do on Windows or whatever. You have to get a program like Balena Etcher or Rufus to commit the ISO onto the USB drive. If this is done successfully then all the data on the USB drive is deleted! That's why I told you not to use an USB drive that has data important to you.

Not many computers have DVD-RAM drives these days but if you have one, you could burn the ISO onto a DVD-R. But it's been many years since I last created one of those things, and have never done so on Linux. LOL.

Talk to us so that we could help you. :)

how can i start
You download a 'live' distro .iso file, & image write it to a pendrive, make sure your computer will boot from USB before internal drive, insert the pendrive, & reboot, which should then start your new system, running from the pendrive.

Welcome aboard. :)

Members online