Purchase Linux CDs / DVDs / Flash Drives at OSDisc.com

Welcome to Our Community

While Linux.org has been around for a while, we recently changed management and had to purge most of the content (including users). If you signed up before April 23rd, 2017 please sign up again. Thanks!

1. Follow us on twitter - we shoot all of our new original content out as well as random messages. https://twitter.com/linuxdotorg
    Dismiss Notice

How do I check disk with Debian Live LXDE

Discussion in 'General Linux' started by O negative, May 29, 2012.

1. O negative

O negative Guest

I have a live Debian LXDE cd that I use to access files when windows falls down and can't get up.

Does the lightweight desktop come with a check disk feature? If so, how can I use it to check a hard drive (safely) that has XP or Vista on it?

If not, is there a linux compatible download that would be good for checking a drive that has windows on it?

(Log in to hide this advertisement)

2. KenJackson

KenJackson Guest

Look for ntfsfix on the CD. I haven't used it, but I think it's what you're looking for.

If it's not there, you should be able to download it from the Debian repository.

3. emma11

emma11 Guest

ken i think you are right

4. O negative

O negative Guest

What about "fsck"?

I can't find either one anyway, but I haven't checked all the myriad directories and sub-directories.

Is it possible to do a file search from LXDE? I've looked in the file manager where there are the following pull-downs: file, edit, go, bookmarks, view, tools, help. I don't see any search options under any of them.

5. Bill

Bill Guest

ntfsfix and fsck are both run from the command line. Try these commands to get more information.

Code:
    man ntfsfix
    Code:
    man fsck

6. KenJackson

KenJackson Guest

It should be in /sbin. But from the fsck man page:
    I thought I understood that fsck.ntfs, if it exists, points to ntfsfix. But on my Fedora16 system I see /bin/ntfsck and /bin/ntfsfix both exist and are different files.

It sounds like you're looking for a graphical search. I think LXDE's default file manager is PCmanFM, which I think does not have a find capability. (Maybe because it's supposed to be "simple" and "light".) But there are many other file managers. See if dolphin, nautilus, gnome-commander, konqueror or thunar are on there. They should each be in the /usr/bin directory. You can start them by clicking on an icon or typing the name in a command shell.

But when looking for executables, they're almost always in /usr/bin. Some important system executables are in /bin. And those that should only be executed by a system administrator are in /sbin or /usr/sbin. (BTW, this is changing. In Fedora 17, /bin and /usr/bin are the same directory, as are /sbin and /usr/sbin.)