Purchase Linux CDs / DVDs / Flash Drives at OSDisc.com

Welcome to Our Community

While Linux.org has been around for a while, we recently changed management and had to purge most of the content (including users). If you signed up before April 23rd please sign up again. Thanks!

How did you discover Linux?

Discussion in 'General Linux' started by atanere, Aug 7, 2017.

?

How did you discover Linux?

1. From a friend or family

10 vote(s)
    16.4%
  2. At work

7 vote(s)
    11.5%
  3. At school

6 vote(s)
    9.8%
  4. Surfing the Internet

26 vote(s)
    42.6%
  5. Other

12 vote(s)
    19.7%
  1. atanere

atanere Moderator
    Gold Supporter

Tell us your stories about how you discovered this excellent operating system.

2. atanere

atanere Moderator
    Gold Supporter

I discovered Linux surfing online shortly after its inception. I have been dabbling with it since the mid- to late-1990's, but it was very tough for me in the beginning due to very low end hardware, especially video. And I could never get it online until I finally got the PPP dialer configured correctly on a US Robotics modem with Mandrake. The "good old days" were definitely a struggle, but I'm glad to have stuck with it.

3. Steve

Steve New Member

A good friend of mine from HS (circa 2003) mentioned something about this "linux" operating system alternative to Windows XP. And there was a penguin and a chameleon (Suse). We tried it out on an old computer and were like "ok... now what?" Fast-forward to my college days (2004) and another good friend was running this "Debian" operating system and was doing all kinds of crazy cool things! Even this SSH-server stuff and an IRC server! Tried Knoppix out a bit. Wasn't until the dawn of Windows 8 that I said "hey, I should really switch over." Funny enough, the final hold-up for me (besides PC games, but I rarely get time for those) was a video encoder that could properly do a 3:2 pulldown (IVTC). It came down to mencoder or FFmpeg, and I sided with FFmpeg and the "pulldown,decimate" filter combo when I need it. I wouldn't consider myself an expert, more of an FFmpeg Journeyman. Have since learned about video editing, virtual machines, btrfs, SSH, and data recovery. :)

atanere likes this.