How did you discover Linux?

atanere

Reaction score
Credits
Tell us your stories about how you discovered this excellent operating system.

I discovered Linux surfing online shortly after its inception. I have been dabbling with it since the mid- to late-1990's, but it was very tough for me in the beginning due to very low end hardware, especially video. And I could never get it online until I finally got the PPP dialer configured correctly on a US Robotics modem with Mandrake. The "good old days" were definitely a struggle, but I'm glad to have stuck with it.

A good friend of mine from HS (circa 2003) mentioned something about this "linux" operating system alternative to Windows XP. And there was a penguin and a chameleon (Suse). We tried it out on an old computer and were like "ok... now what?" Fast-forward to my college days (2004) and another good friend was running this "Debian" operating system and was doing all kinds of crazy cool things! Even this SSH-server stuff and an IRC server! Tried Knoppix out a bit. Wasn't until the dawn of Windows 8 that I said "hey, I should really switch over." Funny enough, the final hold-up for me (besides PC games, but I rarely get time for those) was a video encoder that could properly do a 3:2 pulldown (IVTC). It came down to mencoder or FFmpeg, and I sided with FFmpeg and the "pulldown,decimate" filter combo when I need it. I wouldn't consider myself an expert, more of an FFmpeg Journeyman. Have since learned about video editing, virtual machines, btrfs, SSH, and data recovery. :)

I discovered Linux surfing online shortly after its inception. I have been dabbling with it since the mid- to late-1990's, but it was very tough for me in the beginning due to very low end hardware, especially video. And I could never get it online until I finally got the PPP dialer configured correctly on a US Robotics modem with Mandrake. The "good old days" were definitely a struggle, but I'm glad to have stuck with it.
I wish I would have stayed with it.Here it is 2017 and just now getting back into it.

On a Mac about 20 years ago. Yellow Dog Linux. And 20 years later I finally started really using it and working with it!

Reactions: Rob
what would you recommend for a basically beginner user? I have heard Ubuntu. thoughts?

There's a lot out there for beginners. Depends where you will be using it for and your taste. Do you prefer a Windows / macOS look and feel? Eye candy? Etc. Have a look at distrowatch.com. Examples of a few nice ones are Linux Mint, elemetary OS, Solus. But again: it depends.

more of a windows guy sadly lol I don't like being a Microsoft fan but too broke to grow up on Apple lmao

I was using Unix on a system at work in the 90's so it seemed like a natural progression to use a free clone in the shack. I was into Netware at the time also, both at work and home (3.5 up to 6.0). Remember 10Base T networks? :eek::eek: I got a sampler multi CD collection and started experimenting with it. It had Mandrake, Slackware, Red Hat, and others. Don't remember the versions, but they were 640 x 480 resolutions, gnome desktop, and I ran them on 486DX2-66 with a whopping 1MB of ram!!!:p:p It was a bit twitchy at that time as I remember.

There's a lot out there for beginners. Depends where you will be using it for and your taste. Do you prefer a Windows / macOS look and feel? Eye candy? Etc. Have a look at distrowatch.com. Examples of a few nice ones are Linux Mint, elemetary OS, Solus. But again: it depends.
Yes, definitely check out Distrowatch.com:)

what would you recommend for a basically beginner user? I have heard Ubuntu. thoughts?

@D.K. Hunter, welcome to the site!

Yes, Ubuntu is good, but there are many varieties of it (the different desktops available: Unity, KDE, Gnome, Mate, etc). They're all good, but just have a different feel and different resource requirements. Linux Mint and Linux Lite are also good easy-to-use distros. There are so many to choose from you just have to jump in at some point and burn some to a DVD or USB stick and boot them up and test them out.... you don't have to install until you find one you like.

Or you can also run VirtualBox in Windows and install Linux into a "virtual machine" to test it out. Running in a VM is usually a little faster and smoother, plus it actually goes through all the steps of what its like to do a full install too.

Or you can also run VirtualBox in Windows and install Linux into a "virtual machine" to test it out. Running in a VM is usually a little faster and smoother, plus it actually goes through all the steps of what its like to do a full install too.

Most distros today have live CD. If you are using a VirtualBox you don't need to install them to see what they look like and if it is going to fit your needs. Simple setup a test VM and chose the iso as the boot medium. When it boot instead running the install just boot it into live and play with it.

I look at new distro like this and it save me time. ;)

A good friend of mine from HS (circa 2003) mentioned something about this "linux" operating system alternative to Windows XP. And there was a penguin and a chameleon (Suse). We tried it out on an old computer and were like "ok... now what?" Fast-forward to my college days (2004) and another good friend was running this "Debian" operating system and was doing all kinds of crazy cool things! Even this SSH-server stuff and an IRC server! Tried Knoppix out a bit. Wasn't until the dawn of Windows 8 that I said "hey, I should really switch over." Funny enough, the final hold-up for me (besides PC games, but I rarely get time for those) was a video encoder that could properly do a 3:2 pulldown (IVTC). It came down to mencoder or FFmpeg, and I sided with FFmpeg and the "pulldown,decimate" filter combo when I need it. I wouldn't consider myself an expert, more of an FFmpeg Journeyman. Have since learned about video editing, virtual machines, btrfs, SSH, and data recovery. :)
Welcome to the group, Steve.:)

A friend on a golf forum got me to look at Linux the first time. It was Mint Cinnamon version 13.0 I think. I've long since lost the DVD. I think it was around 2005 or 6?

Edit to add: I was wrong, I found the DVD and it was PCLinuxOS!

Last edited:
HOLA PEOPLEZ! I'm about to give Linux a shot using VirtualBox
Wish me luck!
By the way I discovered this on TEH INTRANETZ

VirtualBox is a great way to get your feet wet with Linux. Good luck as you get started, and open a new thread in one of the forums if you have any trouble.

A friend told me about it back in 2008 i think it was.
And i felt it was so much easier to navigate that i just stuck with it.
My favourite distro is OpenSuse....

My adventure with linux started in 1998 with Debian "Potato", ordered 3 CD's and had a hell of a time getting the video drivers right. Still wrestle with cli but getting there!

I fist considered trying Linux after seeing Youtube videos about it.Up til then I figured it was too nerdy for a mere non teckie person to figure out.At first I tried Windows -like distros such as Mint,Peppermint and so on.I eventually stumbled on Ubuntu 16.04 and never looked back.Rather than try a dual boot,I took the Windows HDD out and put it on the shelf:good time to upgrade to a new SSD. Never did put that Windows drive back in.I find I dont need a lite distro ,even on my old dual core laptop.I like ubuntu because everything(except bluetooth,but who cares)works right out of the box.Once I got over trying to make everything look like Windows,life was easier.I guess one of the biggest hurdles is realizing that if you break it and cant fix it,just do a clean install.Since I always put my data on a second HDD,this is a breeze.Now I can set up a computer from scratch in less than 2 hours.Try ding that with Windows!!

Members online