Hi, there..

D

Dag

I am absolutely noob when it comes to linux, so I thought it would be a good idea to join the forum.
Currently I am browsing through all lightweight distros I can find to see which one I can get to play on an old Acer travelmate 2301LC (Celeron M320, 1Gb RAM)
So far I have only succeeded with Crunchbang and Handy linux....I will keep on testing...great fun!

Glad you're having fun already! Welcome to the community!

Both Crunchbang and Handy Linux are based on Debian.

You might look at http://www.maketecheasier.com/build-lightweight-linux-for-low-end-laptop . It's not difficult.

With 1MB of RAM it's not really the Linux part that is the problem, it's the GNU part --what you run on that Linux.

LXDE is the lightest Desktop Environment. You can get this in it's fullest form by using something like Lubuntu. I can't fully remember but I think that if you do a Netinstall of Debian Jessie it offers this as an option.

Below that you are looking at Windows Managers rather than Desktop Environments, although they are often not as newbie friendly because the Menus do not automatically create themselves. I quite like JWM (Joe's Windows Manager)

I am absolutely noob when it comes to linux, so I thought it would be a good idea to join the forum.
Currently I am browsing through all lightweight distros I can find to see which one I can get to play on an old Acer travelmate 2301LC (Celeron M320, 1Gb RAM)
So far I have only succeeded with Crunchbang and Handy linux....I will keep on testing...great fun!
Welcome dag. Have you tried Puppy Linux yet. You can burn a live cd and run it from that. It is so small that it will run in memory. You don't even need a disk drive in the computer. Do walkabout on the site, and above all, Have fun!:p

Latest posts