hello all!

M

mapijs

ok, first off, i wanna tell you all, i have 0% experience with linux.
that's kinda the reason why i'm here :D
in a few months i am gonna do the study bio-informatics.
for the people who don't know it, it's a lot of programming.

i'm here looking for help, i was recommended by serveral people to use linux and to get to know it.
is here anyone who can kinda act like my wingman? someone who can answer my questions and get me going with some 1 on 1 help, like with skype (just typing, doesn't have to be calling)
i know the year will start at difficulty zero, but i really want to be be familiar with linux before i start with my study.
at the moment i am using an almost ancient pc with windows xp.... 512mb ram, etc etc.

so yeah... anyone who can help me? i really want a headstart :S

Welcome to the forums there are many experts here ready to answer any questions you may have.

Telling us your computers specs would be helpful in answering those questions.:)

not sure what specs are needed and which aren't but here are some from EVEREST

CPU Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.40GHz, 3391 Mhz (x2)
motherbord name MSI MS-7091 (Medion OEM)

not sure which others are needed to get a good vieuw of my pc

so i installed ubuntu on an USB, but i can't seem to find how to install ubuntu when i acces my BIOS, who can help?

Sorry can I clarify do you mean to set your machine to boot from USB pendrive.

To access your bios could be f1 key before you enter windows could be f4 or delete does it say when the machine boots something like to enter setup.

Does your computer have the native ability to boot from usb if not you will need something like the plop bootloader or similar to make it do that.

Once in the bios check under boot options.

By the way does your machine have a model number and make on it???

Staff online