Hail The LINUX

G

Gautam

Hey guys what is up?? hmm...so were should i start...??:rolleyes:

I'm Gautam 27 yrs of age male single :D from Hyderabad, India. I took up a job on shell, perl and mongodb in an organization like 2 weeks back. Previously i worked for 1 year on Dot Net platform
Currently iam pretty much confused on were to start and which direction to follow...as i was instructed by my boss to learn these technologies on my own without any training and assistance from there end:eek:
I will be put into server automation mostly would be scripting using bash once i complete my learning phase.
Been 2 weeks since i started using ubuntu desktop :) and iam kinda doing close to 5-6 commands a day and exploring on the syntax of bash as of now...

So before indulging into some serious shell scripting and talking with ya guys
been doin some samples scripts using control structures...just to get used to the syntax...
most of the stuff i came across have very basic programs which any newbie can pickup very easily

I wanted to know and wondering how the scripts would be in real time environment, wanted to learn to write advanced scripts in coming weeks and progress from there slowly upwards.:)
hmm...so joined this community so that i can interact with u all, share and learn...so looking forward for a great community environment and posts.

Last edited:

Welcome Gautam,
Sounds like you're on the right track. Experience trumps any trainings so I'd highly recommend working as exclusively as possible in the command line. It will be slow going at first, but the more you use it and as commands become second-nature you'll find it much more efficient than a GUI desktop.

Here is a good shell intro tutorial:
http://linuxcommand.org/lc3_learning_the_shell.php
-Specifically "Learning the Shell" is great to get a feel of basic commands and shell navigation as well as learning where everything is in a basic Linux/Unix environment

This is a more detailed shell scripting tutorial as well:
http://bash.cyberciti.biz/guide/Main_Page

What shell do you use at work? Most tutorials you'll find are for bash, but I know at work we use c shell. Script syntax can vary greatly depending on which shell you use so make sure to stick with the one you use at work.

Hey Mickey D thanks for the links bro...the second link is pretty cool and got some good samples...we will be using mostly bash at work Mickey.

Members online