h

blakaman

Reaction score
Credits
Hi guys
i got an old laptop from my sister (dell insporon 15 n5010) and the windows crashed
a friend of mine gave me a usb contaning a linux destro(garuda i think)
i tried to install it but it says "invalid magic number"
i made some research i found that i have to disable the secure boot but there is no option to do it in the BIOS
can u help me guyz its been 2 days that i have been struggling with that laptop

G'day @blakaman and welcome to linux.org :)

Take a read of

https://www.linux.org/threads/invalid-magic-number-need-to-load-kernel-first.30204/

and see if that helps, for starters.

You might want to edit your Thread title to include some keywords, or this will be missed.

Have a read of

https://linuxtips.gq/2021/01/19/how-to-ask-a-good-support-question/

You may want to choose a distro other than Garuda to start your Linux journey, as it uses the BTRFS file system, which is less common than the EXT4 used by most Linux, and so your suport options here will be reduced, but if you are stuck with that, so be it, we'll try to help.

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

i got an old laptop from my sister (dell insporon 15 n5010)
Hi welcome
your Del came from the factory with 3gb ram [unless it has been upgraded ] Garuda is quite a hungry distribution , although it should run on 3gb , the OS recommend a minimum of 4gb [and up to 8gb depending on use]
To enter the BIOS on a N5010 jiggle F2 whilst turning on [for the short boot menu if needed jiggle F12 whilst turning on]
Thought.. installation medium may be corrupt do you know if it has beeen succesfully used by whoever supplied it?

Bwiz

G'day blakaman, Welcome

I think the better way to put you out of your misery is to suggest the most popular Linux distro.

Linux Mint 20.1

The link above is for Linux Mint xfce....which is lighter than the usual cinnamon desktop....it should run ok with 3 gb ram.

You would need to download it......and use an app like balena etcher to put it on a usb stick
Then boot to that usb stick

Talk to us some more and tell us what you would like to do/tell us what you need.

Everything will seem a bit complex/frustrating right now, but we can clear that up for you.

Some bios you will have to change it to legacy in order to turn off secure boot - with limited ram I would look at a light Linux such as - Linux Lite or BrunsenLabs or Lubuntu