Purchase Linux CDs / DVDs / Flash Drives at OSDisc.com

Welcome to Our Community

While Linux.org has been around for a while, we recently changed management and had to purge most of the content (including users). If you signed up before April 23rd please sign up again. Thanks!

GUI

Discussion in 'General Computing' started by VP9KS, Jul 16, 2017.

1. VP9KS

VP9KS Active Member

Here is a question. What was the first Graphic User Interface that you ever used? Mine was a Tandy product called DESKMATE V3.

I got it with the first portable IBM computer that I ever owned, a Tandy 1400LT. It was a 4MHZ (yes I said MHZ:p) 8086 with a whopping 786K of ram. I souped it up by snatching the 8086 out and replacing it with a NEC V20, which was 20% faster and pin compatable. Yeah, baby, running with the big dogs now, don't ya know!:p:p:D:D

It came with a set of five 3.5 inch floppies, because it had two 3.5 inch floppy drives installed, and no hard drive. 1 disk was ms-dos/gw-basic , 3 were the Deskmate GUI, and the 4th was Quicken 1.0. I also used Laplink 5 with it. I traveled all over Europe with it, as a NATO Tech rep, and it never failed me once.

I still have the Deskmate / dos disks. Just for fun, I loaded it, using dos 6.22, onto an old Seagate ST3660 on the lab computer, and by golly it still works!

So, what is your tall tale?:D:cool:

Happy Trails,
    Paul

#1 VP9KS, Jul 16, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2017 at 5:18 PM
    atanere likes this.
  2. Federico Paolini

Federico Paolini New Member

My first GUI experience was with GEM running on DOS 3.20 on an 8086 PC with an EGA card in 1986. A couple of years later I worked at school with Ventura, one of the first desktop publishing app and it ran on top of GEM. IMHO GEM were designed better than windows 3 that came out in 1989.

atanere likes this.
  3. atanere

atanere Moderator
    Gold Supporter

My tall tales do not include GUI's! :eek::confused::D:D

Did Windows 3.x even qualify as a GUI? I always viewed it more of an app... a launcher, not much different from Cairo Dock today. Win95 is probably my first thought of Windows as a GUI, although it is also touted as a full operating system (except it was still DOS under the hood, as I recall).

VP9KS likes this.
  4. Federico Paolini

Federico Paolini New Member

Well... Win 3.x qualifies itself as a GUI. It is an OS? No.
    It makes you interact with the hardware using windows, icons, buttons and other widgets and that's a GUI. Win 3.x had even its own apps. It's the same discussion we had about Win95 wether it was a GUI or an OS because it boots and runs on top of DOS.

By the way, back on trail, I forgot to mention the GEOS on the C64 :p

atanere likes this.
  5. VP9KS

VP9KS Active Member

Really Stan? do they start "This is no S###", or "Once upon a time"?:D:D

You do know that the first is a sea story, and the second is a fairy tale, right?:p:p

#5 VP9KS, Jul 16, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
    atanere likes this.
  6. darry1966

darry1966 Member

Atari ST and Amiga500 OS's then GEOS on Pcs and win 3.1 and 3.11 and 3.0,