Graphics driver confusion

Danbor

Reaction score
Credits
Hello again all. I'm in the process of trying to figure out how to go about setting up the Wine / Lutris / Steam stuff to experiment with trying to get a certain game running.
Anyway, research has shown that something called vulkan may be needed for this. Research also says that I could totally hose my system if I make a mistake with this. The relevant portion of the inxxi report shows this about the graphics card -
Graphics:
Device-1: AMD Lexa PRO [Radeon 540/540X/550/550X / RX 540X/550/550X] driver: amdgpu v: kernel
pcie: speed: 8 GT/s lanes: 8 ports: active: HDMI-A-1 empty: DP-1,DVI-D-1 bus-ID: 2b:00.0
chip-ID: 1002:699f

Now, looking at the Raedon driver site, the driver latest driver for Linux is 23.2.
Here is where I am confused. As shown above, the driver listed is amdgpu v: kernel. What does that tell me, if anything, about what version of the driver is currently being used? How does amdgpu v: kernel compare to driver version 23.2? Do I need to install the updated driver? Am I currently using the updated driver? What am I missing?

the Open source driver is AMDgpu is inclueded with the Linux Kernel. But that is not the AMD driver you mentioned. It may be compatable. It depends a bit on the Distro your using how you should go about install the actual AMD driver. So let us know which distro your using?

Last edited:
It depends on your distro. Some distro's have a discrete driver.

dnf info xorg-x11-drv-amdgpu
Last metadata expiration check: 0:00:17 ago on Thu 26 Oct 2023 11:45:29 AM PDT.
Installed Packages
Name : xorg-x11-drv-amdgpu
Version : 23.0.0
Release : 1.fc38
Architecture : x86_64
Size : 253 k
Source : xorg-x11-drv-amdgpu-23.0.0-1.fc38.src.rpm
Repository : @System
From repo : fedora
Summary : AMD GPU video driver
URL : https://www.x.org/wiki
License : MIT
Description : X.Org X11 AMDGPU driver

dnf search radeon
Last metadata expiration check: 0:02:16 ago on Thu 26 Oct 2023 11:45:29 AM PDT.
======================== Name & Summary Matched: radeon ========================
radeon-profile.x86_64 : Application to read current clocks of ATi Radeon cards
radeon-profile-daemon.x86_64 : Daemon for radeon-profile GUI
radeontool.x86_64 : Backlight and video output configuration tool for radeon
: cards
radeontop.x86_64 : AMD Radeon video cards monitoring utility

Thanks for the input folks. I found this command that, I think, told me what I was looking for with it's output ---

glxinfo | grep "OpenGL vendor\|OpenGL renderer"
OpenGL vendor string: AMD
OpenGL renderer string: AMD Radeon RX 550 / 550 Series (polaris12, LLVM 15.0.7, DRM 3.49, 6.2.0-35-generic)

Matching this output to my other reading tells me that I do have the correct driver installed.

Members online