"Generic" Linux Laptop

EOL666

Reaction score
Credits
OK - I'm ready to start moving from Windows to some distro of Linux. My main problem is selecting a laptop that supports modern configurations like Thunderbolt, ultra processors, multiple ports etc. I am not a gamer or a developer so I don't need a discrete GPU. The most I would do is plug a mouse in, a flash drive, and a monitor. I have a Brother wireless printer so I don't think that's a problem. I'll keep my Windows desktop mostly for compatibility purposes but disconnect it from the internet come October 2025. I simply want a laptop that I can run 4 or 5 distros on over the next several months and see what works for me. If you want a Windows machine you can select from about a million. But I can't find a generic laptop. I've gone through System76, Tudexo etc,but they all say they only run certain distros. I just want a machine that I don't have to fight the hardware with and that allows me to just focus on the OS. I don't mind spending $1500 or so to get what I want. Am I being unreasonable in my expectations? Thank.

Am I being unreasonable in my expectations? Thank.
I will tell you what I told Tinkerphill today..
""
Things to remember when buying a new [or new to you, pre-used] laptop for Linux,
new cutting edge components can cause compatibility problems, as it can take up to a year for the boys and girls who write the divers to back engineer them,
Intel or AMD doesn't matter to Linux, both brands have their own following, most users don't care.
most makes can be made to work with Linux but some cause more work than others, the consensus seems to be Dell or Lenovo have the least problems. Just avoid bottom line entry level machines.if you can afford to, and Chromebooks,""

Going on from this, personally I would never waste cash on the latest machine to run Linux, If you are only going to be Mr average home user [not a gamer] then a good refurbished machine 3 to 5 years old is perfect,
If you want to run say 5 different distributions in a multiboot setup, then look for something with 500gb or more on the main drive, and if you're not gaming 8gb of ram is more than you will ever be likely to need., several of us run re-furbished machines, probably the lest problematic are Dell and Lenovo, although you may have to do a bit of terminal work to install drivers for such as Wi-Fi ,graphics, etc, your brother printer should be ok as they usually use the cups printing process.

Thank you!
So a Dell / Lenovo machine from
would probably work for multiple distros like Mint, Fedora, Zorin, Ubuntu (those are the ones I want to start with and gain some experience).

Mint, Fedora, Zorin, Ubuntu (those are the ones I want to start with
ok so Mint LMDE is based directly on Debian
Ubuntu is based directly on Debian
Mint 21,& Zorin are based on Ubuntu
Fedora is well Fedora

I have had very good luck with Lenovo Thinkpads, you can get them refurbished at reasonable prices.
If you want a machine with preinstalled Linux you can look at System 76, Slimbook and others. Some dells work well also.
You have choices.

I think Thinkpads and Dells would be my go tos and also Compaq.

Latest posts