General Linux support please with CentOS

K

kencee

hi! I am new in Linux, I start to make a file server with CentOS and Samba between Linux-Mac-Windows. It is working well but I have few questions:
1. How can I block/allow the users to specific IP or MAC address. I am in the local LAN. Ex. When I am connecting from Windows with user "fcp1" I want to "see" if is IP 192.168.0.10 (or Network Card MAC address) the allow the connection, if not deny the connection. I want this because I dont want users to log in with others passwords.
2. When I click in Windows on the shared folders PROPERTIES, i can't get the folders size. It seems to be 0 bytes. I want to users to see Free space and Total size. I have project based Quotas.
3. I want to log somehow all logs like copy, create, deleted files made by userxxx with ip xxx at datetimexxx.
4. I made some groups with users. When I am log in to a shared directory in windows and I click to delete a file owned by other user but from the same group it shows that "deletes" the file, but when I refresh the directory it shows the file. I want to show a pop up where it writes: You dont have permission for deleting this file.
5. I have a user wich I want to write to a directory ownership administrator:groupA, user belongs to group B. Directory permission is: rwxrws--t. I want with this user to write but not delete there.
Thank U for your help!

1. You can use iptables to whitelist MAC addresses if your default policy is DROP. For example, /sbin/iptables -A INPUT -i eth1 -m mac --mac-source XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX -j ACCEPT

2. Unsure about this one

3. You should turn on the audit log for file access. In linux it's called auditd On Windows there is also an audit log

4. Right click the file then properties then security tab. You should verify the group has delete permissions.

5. It's not in the same group so you'll have to set permission for others to write but not read. Try doing chmod o+w filename.

Hi! Thank U for your respond!
For the 1. Iptables my problem is how to "say" wich user can connect only with "this MAC address"? Ex. User1: only from XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:X1
User2 only from: XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:X2
3. Where is this audit log in Linux? In the samba conf i can turn it on?
5. I dont want write permission on that folder. Somehow i want to use that folder to write. Example: i have the folder XXX with permission r-x for others. Rwxrwxr-x Because the owner of folder is administrator and group "editors1"."editors1" is not administrator (they can not delete this folder) I want that folder be accesable for group "ingest" in that way to copy in it files... But the new file to be created by "editors1" or after created to not allow to delete it. I want to delete with group "editors1" or administrator.
Thank you!

Members online