Face Hater Games

S

SoldierOfFilth

This year I start my first year at the Living Arts College in Raleigh, NC. Where I will learn animation and basic game design. The software the courses will cover is Maya and the Unity3D game engine. However with my recent transition from windows to Ubuntu, and subsequent installation of Blender, I have found that I prefer Blender over those programs.

All is not lost though, my education at LAC will give me a foundation with which to work from in animation and modelling at the principal level, I can teach myself and learn from others how to use Blender and Python, the language that Blender scripts in. This experience will also give me insight into the industry and how it works.

I started Face Hater Games about a year ago while using the Unity3D engine. For examples of what I worked on you can check them out on YouTube by searching the name SoldierOfFilth. I will have to learn how to use Blender along side of getting to know the ins and outs of Linux, but I have found that over the years the best way for myself to learn this stuff is to just throw myself in to it. Over the past year my goals for Face Hater Games have changed a bit and now I have made a decision to pursue building Face Hater Games as a game development group that develops games solely for Linux with the possibility of one day forming it into a small development company with legacy employees.

So I've given you my goal and now I am interested in knowing who out there would love to not only see this happen but be a part of it. If you live in the Raleigh area and know anything about Python, Linux, and/or Blender please hit me up as I would love to talk and maybe plan a meet up.

For those of you wanting to see his YouTube profile - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZgIWB31aOyXlgxWv3RfkZQ

That is an interesting game. Does your game work on Linux? If so, have you considered whether you would like to host it on Launchpad, Github, etc.?

I know a lot about Python3 and Linux, but I am no where near North Carolina. I am learning Blender myself.

For learning Blender, I recommend these two YouTube channels.

https://www.youtube.com/user/tutor4u?feature=g-coll - also has GIMP and Inkscape tutorials

https://www.youtube.com/user/AndrewPPrice/videos

EDIT: This thread inspired me to write this post - http://www.linux.org/threads/graphics-design-tutorials.5285/

Last edited:
I have used Unity3D for a year and know some basic stuff about it. I have a rudimentary understanding of scripting just from what little I have dabbled in and I had a visual scripting aid add-on that I used with Unity3D called PlayMaker. I want to break away from Unity though as Blender contains pretty much everything I need to build models, animate them, and then build a game with them.

The project I was running in Unity3D, called New World War, would difficult to transfer over as compatibility with Linux is not entirely stabilized and the Unity3D devs have made mention that until demand is expressed in great enough numbers they will not release an official Linux build or support Linux users trying to modify the software.

The resources for that project though were all exported as OBJ and or PNG so everything save for the particles which were native to Unity3D is transferable to Blender, but given that I have learned more about modelling in Blender, I feel like I would rather rebuild all of those assets and make them look much better.

I think you may have difficulty finding anyone in the Raleigh area.

With Skype, Google+, various IMs and email etc you might have to accept that there are people further afield.

My youngest daughter has a Masters in Animation and is a University Lecturer...in China.

Why not make an effort to be platform independent, instead of solely Linux?

Also, are you doing parallel coding for your games? I know that a discontent in the Dwarf Fortress playerbase is that the game logic is single threaded, but the game itself borders on being an HPC application (ok, ok, depending on who you ask this might be an exaggeration, at least for small forts) and recoding it parallel now just is not going to happen.

Members online