Easy distros for new members

... The terminology is the part this noob has issues with :)

I think you've hit the nail on the head there. We tend to use more generalized terms because there are so many choices. The we turn around and use laboriously specific terms to avoid confusion. It's no wonder new users' heads spin a little.

While doing application support a few years back, I was speaking with a remote user

Me: What web browser are you using?
User:What do you mean?"
Me: What do you click on to open the window to go to google.com?
User: Oh... I just click on the internet.

They had no concept of "web browser" / firefox / chrome / IE / edge and no idea that "internet" is not synonymous with "web" - they just didn't have the vocabulary for any of that. And that's probably about the easiest of the terminology issues to be faced by a linux noob coming from the MS Windows world.

Just starting at the very top, to a new Windows refugee, there's "Windows, Linux and Mac" whereas, to a Linux user, there's "hundreds of Linux operating systems (distros), a half dozen or so Windows operating systems and God knows what from Apple".

BTW, I've been using linux for twenty plus years and still feel like a rank noob in some respects, so I guess there are varying levels of noobity.

The terminology is the part this noob has issues with
You and a great number of others share that problem

Also, Navigation. Navigating around Linux is key to understanding it. Navigating accurately around this site, is crucial to accessing the info to bring about that understanding.

Just starting at the very top, to a new Windows refugee, there's "Windows, Linux and Mac" whereas, to a Linux user, there's "hundreds of Linux operating systems (distros), a half dozen or so Windows operating systems and God knows what from Apple".
Yes ! ....so true !
b-Zo-Rud6-Imgur.gif

I got to jump in it is Linux Mint for me. My suggestion however is to look at a few YouTube videos on the various distros and then give it a try. The nice thing is before you decide to install you can run off the thumb drive or disk. You however will not be able to download any apps using that option. Also a big factor is the capability of the machine you are going to be using. As you can see Linux has many distros from witch to chose from.
Always,
Wildman

You however will not be able to download any apps using that option.
It is possible to download apps during that 'Live' version....however, when you reboot any apps or changes you have made will be gone if you reboot to that usb stick/dvd again.
There is also a thing called 'persistence' which will make those apps etc etc....persist....so that when you reboot, they will still be there.
Linux Mint as an 'Easy distro for new members'........I agree, wholeheartedly with @wildman

How many can't burn an ISO to a Flash Drive.
m1123.gif

The best thing to do is to test various live distributions, e.g. Linux-Mint, Mx-Linux, Ubuntu etc. This also allows you to see if all devices are recognized. ;)

.. like @wizardfromoz has.. :)

Droll, Marvin...very droll

You're in SERIOUS trouble... I have your Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator.

Members online