Dual booting with rEFInd can't boot - Solved (mostly)

MattWinter

Reaction score
Credits
I've been struggling with this for a couple days, now, so I think it's time to reach out for some help.

Backgraound:
I have an SSD drive with a boot partition, an arch partition, a gentoo partition, an unused partition, and a swap partition (partitions 1-5 respectively). I've had arch up and running for a while and I just install gentoo the other day.
At first, grub was not working. I would select the gentoo install, but it would reboot the machine directly to the BIOS. Any selection made there as far as boot order would just bring back the GRUB menu.
I installed rEFInd, thinking it would "just work" as it claims it should. It didn't. Some of the options selected in rEFInd would just bring up the GRUB menu, so I thought maybe GRUB and rEFInd were conflicting, so I uninstalled GRUB. I also tried running initramfs and mkinitcptio and generating new img files (almost all of this was done from arch, I've been unable to boot to the gentoo system so far).

The current state:
my rEFInd menu has three options. The first is vmlinuz-linux which is in the root of the boot partition (there is also a vmlinuz-5.15.80-gentoo in the root of the boot partition, but this one isn't showing up in rEFInd). Selecting this option boots arch and works correctly. There is also a corresponding initramfs-linux.img that exists in the same location.

The second option has an arch logo because it refers to EFI/arch/vmlinuz-linux. It too has a vmlinuz-linux.img. This option does not boot. I get the error:
device '' not found skipping fsck
mounting '' on real root
mount: /new_root: no filesystem type
you are now being dropped into emergency shell

The third option is for EFI/gentoo/vmlinuz-5.15.80-gentoo. It also does not work. The error I get there is:
VFS: Cannot open root device "(null)" or unknown block (0,0): error -6
snd_hda_intel 0000:01:00.1: cannot probe codecs, giving up
Please append a correct "root=" boot option
Here are the available partitions:
103:0000 976762584 nvme0n1
(driver?)
103:103:0001 524288 nvme0n1p1
...etc for the other nvme partitions...

kernel panic - not syncing VFS unable to mount root fs on unknown block (0,0)

both the gentoo and arch partitions are formatted using ext4

Anyone have any suggestions?

Oh my goodness! That was an ordeal.

The problem was that rEFInd was not passing boot options (or the wrong boot options) because I didn't have a .conf file that rEFInd uses for that purpose. Not sure where those were supposed to come from, but I had one for the working arch install that I used as a template to create the others manually.

Also, the path of the img file was incorrect on the two broken ones. Not sure where rEFInd stores this path as it isn't in that .conf file...

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts