Dual Boot Kali Linux + Windows Partitions issue.

humzaarain1

Reaction score
Credits
Hi there, trying to dual boot Kali Linux Along with windows 10 but I'm facing issues in the partition section.

I have 500 GB Storage consist of 5 different partitions, 1 partition with 50GB having windows installed on it whine 450 GB is divided into 4 different partitions
I have created a separate volume to install Kali but during installation in the partition section it is only showing 2 partitions
1 50GB which consist of windows
2nd = 450 GB instead of 4 different partitions which I have created I have lots of important data in these partitions that's why I created a separate partition to install Linux but its showing me combined storage.

anyone can help me with this issue?

kali.png

I have lots of important data in these partitions
First of all - do you have the "important data" backed up in case anything goes 'wrong'? A good back-up would be advisable.
Second - it looks like the #3 primary partition is in the "ntfs" format (or that is how Kali sees it).
I would guess that you need to format one of the partitions in a 'Linux' format which Kali probably expects to see. Perhaps 'ext4' or some such.

First of all - do you have the "important data" backed up in case anything goes 'wrong'? A good back-up would be advisable.
Second - it looks like the #3 primary partition is in the "ntfs" format (or that is how Kali sees it).
I would guess that you need to format one of the partitions in a 'Linux' format which Kali probably expects to see. Perhaps 'ext4' or some such.
Hi thanks for your reply.

Actually I have tried formating 1 partition to etx4 but using 1 partition tool in windows but after partition yet its showing the same results, Also tried by setting one partition as unallocated yet same results.

Tried on my friends laptop but its completely fine up there.

Your going to need a ext 4 partition like Vrai said.

You could shrink your Windows partition to make room for your Kali Linux install.
That way you will have unallocated space for your Linux install.

Than with that free unallocated space create a ext4 partition specific for Kali Linux.

Is that #3 450.9GB partition full of files and such?

Actually I have tried formating 1 partition to etx4 but using 1 partition tool in windows but after partition yet its showing the same results, Also tried by setting one partition as unallocated yet same results.

Windows does not like Linux file systems and/or partitions. Try using GParted from a "Live" disc or USB.

Windows does not "speak" Linux, it's learning but it not there yet. That's why the partition keeps showing up as a single NTFS. The Linux Gparted partitioning tool not only understands Windows, but will build whatever Linux partitions you want. Linux most often uses an ext4 filesystem within either an ms-dos or gpt partition table.

But before you start just grabbing space, make sure there is nothing on that space that you really need back files and other data up BEFORE starting. Once you change an NTFS filesystem on that space to an ext4, or btrfs, or some other filesystem that really important data is gone. That change involves a reformat.

If you want to share that space between Windows and Linux, then you need to shrink the NTFS partition, before grabbing space for Linux.

Issue Resolved, Actually, my hard drive was set to dynamic and I changed it to Basic using windows partition tools and Now I can see all partitions over there.

Thanks, everyone who replied.

Members online

Latest posts