Do we need Virus software on Linux and if so which one ?

D

darrendazzler

Pretty new to the world of Linux and so far amazed at how good it is, as I understand it Linux is far less prone to Viruses than Windows.

Does this mean you can happily run Linux without any protection ? I understand there are virus programmes for Linux but if I need one which one is best ?

I think we don't need Virus Software , because we already have many good software , eg firewall,iptables,selinux !

Pretty new to the world of Linux and so far amazed at how good it is, as I understand it Linux is far less prone to Viruses than Windows.

Does this mean you can happily run Linux without any protection ? I understand there are virus programmes for Linux but if I need one which one is best ?
If you do not feel comfortable with not having anti-virus included, install and run clamAV. But no, you do not NEED anti-virus on Linux. Make sure your firewall is enabled and setup properly, and also make sure you do not have unneeded network services running.

This question keeps popping up every so often. The answer is not simple.

Linux (Or if you prefer, GNU/Linux) has been susceptible to possibly 40 to 50 instances of Malware. Most if not all at this point have been eliminated or were only "Proof-of-Concept" Malware.

The problem is with Mickey$oft. Specifically any potential infectable files created by, passing through, or being stored, on a Microsoft based computer. Symantec has stated, and I quote, "...Symantec maintains one of the world's most comprehensive vulnerability databases, currently consisting of more than 60,000 recorded vulnerabilities (spanning more than two decades)..." See: Symantec Report

Most of these are Windows based. This only scratches the surface of the problems that users are facing today.

If you are running a File, Samba, Mail, FTP, Web servers, etc... it is MANDATORY to scan your systems daily, no matter what O/S is running on that system, including Linux! ALL email, and ALL attachments, (including all files embedded in zip files), both incoming, and outgoing, should be scanned passing through any mail server.

If your Linux system, sends, receives, or stores ANY files that again, have had any contact with a Windows system, then yes, your system should be scanned regularly. Don't forget Flash Drives, backup drives, C/D's and DVD's!!! I would not want to pass on any infected file that could not infect a Linux computer, but could if passed on, it could infect a Windows system.

You as the owner and user of a Linux based system will have to make that call. Better to be safe, than not. As for Linux based Anti-Virus software, please see:

Malware and Antivirus Systems for Linux

Basically as stated in previous posts, there is really no need to install an anti-virus program for Linux. The hand full of viruses that exist for Linux pretty much have been controlled by disabling it's exploits (mainly getting access to root), but I would use the common sense approach in that it cannot hurt to have anti-virus installed but a properly configured firewall is ESSENTIAL to have in a Linux set-up either client or server. And yes, if you use any sort of files or software that utilize a Windows atmosphere I would again err on the side of caution and install an anti-virus program. It cannot hurt.

My two cents.

Members online

Latest posts