"Display Settings" not opening on Ubuntu 23.04

Haui111

Reaction score
Credits
Hi! I'm trying to find out why my display settings are not showing when rightclicking or using gnome-control-center display.

I have recently disabled a mod I had done to disable pipewire since I couldn't hear anything when using rdp. But probably some of the changed configuration is now breaking parts of my system.

Here's the error message when using the above command:

Code:
GStreamer-Play[16682]:   ERROR: GtkGstPlay: 'playbin' element not found, please check your setup
^CTrace/breakpoint trap (core dumped)

I tried the following:
  • uninstalling gstreamer (bad idea)
  • reinstalling gstreamer using apt-get install libgstreamer1.0-dev libgstreamer-plugins-base1.0-dev libgstreamer-plugins-bad1.0-dev gstreamer1.0-plugins-base gstreamer1.0-plugins-good gstreamer1.0-plugins-bad gstreamer1.0-plugins-ugly gstreamer1.0-libav gstreamer1.0-tools gstreamer1.0-x gstreamer1.0-alsa gstreamer1.0-gl gstreamer1.0-gtk3 gstreamer1.0-qt5 gstreamer1.0-pulseaudio
  • reinstalling ubuntu desktop

I'm pretty much out of ideas as when I google the problem I only get obscure problems on github which don't seem to resemble the problem I have.

Can anyone tell me what may be wrong? I will gladly provide logs if you need them.

Thank you very much for reading. Have a good one.

you could try
sudo apt update && sudo apt --fix-broken install
or
sudo apt update && sudo apt-get --fix-missing

What happens if you issue this command in a terminal
Code:
gnome-control-center display
any error messages?

you could try
sudo apt update && sudo apt --fix-broken install
or
Thanks for the suggestion! Always a pleasure how fast you react!

Sadly, the error prevails. The second command seems to be incorrect or something. It shows the general usage of apt-get.

here are similar errors:

this seems to be not that uncommon on 23.04

can I provide you with logs? if yes which ones?

What happens if you issue this command in a terminal
Code:
gnome-control-center display
any error messages?
yes, as mentioned:

Code:
haui@haui-TowerPC:~$ gnome-control-center display
16:20:10.6842       GStreamer-Play[41314]:   ERROR: GtkGstPlay: 'playbin' element not found, please check your setup
Trace/breakpoint trap (core dumped)

I'm fully baffled as to what to do next. Feel free to suggest.

The second command seems to be incorrect or something.
oops sorry missed a space [rooky error]

oops sorry missed a space [rooky error]

Still says:

apt 2.6.0ubuntu0.1 (amd64)
Usage: apt-get [options] command

try without the get
sudo apt update && sudo apt --fix-missing

try without the get
sudo apt update && sudo apt --fix-missing
I did. Didn’t work either. I then googled it and someone in another forum said sudo apt update —fix-missing which did work but the error remains.

Do you have any other ideas? I‘m not familiar how gnome works so I have no idea what gstreamer actually does and why it is crucial for ubuntu desktop.

I have no idea what gstreamer actually does
It works with your Graphics, audio,and video, it automatically can convert the file format to work with any given application

install on ubuntu [its a long one so copy paste to terminal]

apt-get install libgstreamer1.0-dev libgstreamer-plugins-base1.0-dev libgstreamer-plugins-bad1.0-dev gstreamer1.0-plugins-base gstreamer1.0-plugins-good gstreamer1.0-plugins-bad gstreamer1.0-plugins-ugly gstreamer1.0-libav gstreamer1.0-tools gstreamer1.0-x gstreamer1.0-alsa gstreamer1.0-gl gstreamer1.0-gtk3 gstreamer1.0-qt5 gstreamer1.0-pulseaudio

told you it was long

It works with your Graphics, audio,and video, it automatically can convert the file format to work with any given application

install on ubuntu [its a long one so copy paste to terminal]

y

told you it was long
Not trying to be a wiseass but isn't that the exact command I put in my first post in the thread? :)

Anyway, is there anything I can do to get this "setup" working as the error mentions or get "playbin" to work? I'm very much in a bind here.

Had a quick look round, as I am going out shortly, see if this helps.

Had a quick look round, as I am going out shortly, see if this helps.

I read through this and didn't find anything resembling my problem. I still gave it a whirl but no dice, sadly. Just gonna sit here and google a little more. If anyone has further suggestions, hit me. :)

Edit: I got it! I FKIN GOT IT!

gsettings reset org.gnome.Settings last-panel

The panel was broken. I skimmed over this as I thought my problem was something else.

For anyone having this problem, check this out:

Also happens on the "Multitasking" panel.
The last panel setting can also be cleared by running gsettings reset org.gnome.Settings last-panel.

This is doing it for me. Yay!

Members online