Directory that clears up on reboot and does not have sticky bit set

nirali

Reaction score
Credits
In Unix-like operating systems, Can anyone point out the directories that gets cleaned on reboot and not have sticky bit permission set to it. I want to be able to create a file in C where in a directory can be modified by any process/not just the process that created it and also should clear up file on reboot.

For example /tmp cleans up on reboot but has sticky bit permissions. Do we have any other folder that clears up on reboot but doesn't have sticky bit set.

IDK what a "sticky bit" is but if that's troubling you, isn't there a command to remove that from the folder?
Also, /tmp doesn't clean on reboot - at least not on my end. /Tmp is used by trizen to compile packages from AUR and the sources remain in /tmp permanently, unless I clean that folder manually (I have an alias for that).

Thanks @rado84 for replying
1. I cannot change the permissions of the /tmp. Do not have permissions to do that
2. /tmp is for temporary files whereas /var/tmp is for persistent files across reboots.

If this is a work computer and you don't know the root password, maybe you can explain what you need to do to your sys admin and he/she can give you permissions or do it for you?

The /tmp folder is for everyone to be able to write temporary files to even the system you shouldn't be wanting to change permissions of /tmp. Because then the system can't write the temporary files it needs to write anymore, systemd also writes to /tmp and /var/tmp.

Members online