Debian?

JFSK

Reaction score
Credits
I think I have an understanding of how Linux has many different distributions but what does Debian mean? Are there multiple distributions that are Debian? Are there any others of whatever Debian is? Thank you in advance!

JFSK

I think I have an understanding of how Linux has many different distributions but what does Debian mean? Are there multiple distributions that are Debian? Are there any others of whatever Debian is? Thank you in advance!

JFSK
According to this https://acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/DEBIAN
Debra Ian (free operating system, Debra & Ian Murdock)
And you might want to read here too https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ian_Murdock
There are a number of distros based off Debian, i.e Ubuntu.

JFSK
Debian is an acronym of developers wife Debbie, and first name of developer Ian (now deceased rip)

Debian is not a framework. It is one of the oldest Linux distributions.

A Linux distribution is a collection of software comprising the Linux kernel, a desktop environment and a selection of other user-space programs. But essentially all Linux distros are more or less the same under the hood. Most differences are purely cosmetic.

But Debian also refers to the package management system used by Debian - which is the Debian .deb package format and it's associated tools dpkg, aptitude, apt etc.
One difference between distros is the package management system used to help users to install and uninstall software from the repositories. These package managers can deal with fairly complex dependency chains. So alongside the program you want to install, they will also install any missing dependencies that any given package requires.

Debian and Debian derived distros (Like Ubuntu, Mint, Kali etc) use the Debian .deb package format and associated tools.

But this is just one of many package management systems.
Many other distros have their own package management systems too - Red-hat, Arch, Gentoo, Slack/Slackware etc.etc.
And many of these distros have derivatives that use their packaging systems.

And even more recently there have been additional packaging formats like flatpak and snaps which aim to allow developers to create a single package that could be installed on ANY distro which contains the entire application and all of its dependencies.

Good find, LorenB!

which ones have you tried so far ? you know all roads lead eventually to slackware (or maybe arch )

well not slackware i think otherwise you would have stopped looking :^)

I don't actually install them normally (just run from Live USB) but actually I have tried Slackware.

you can speed up if you use ventoy to format usb ,here's a recent distro tree for you (my 14gig usb)

ventoy
├── KNOPPIX_V8.6-2019-08-08-EN.iso
├── System Volume Information
├── bionicpup64-8.0-uefi.iso
├── bodhi-5.1.0-64.iso
├── linuxmint-19.3-mate-64bit.iso
├── linuxmint-19.3-xfce-64bit.iso
├── lubuntu-18.04-alternate-i386.iso
├── rescatux-0.73.iso
└── slackware64-current-install-dvd.iso

i acn choose to boot any of them. All iso's as they were when downloaded

Members online