Debian to Debian 3TB of data transfer over LAN

misterprimus

Reaction score
Credits
Migrating from Linux PC #1 with 2x shared drives (1TB USB and 2TB internal SATA HDD) (Samba) to Linux PC #2 with 1x shared drive (10TB internal SATA HDD) (Samba). Both PCs are command line units into which I can SSH via LAN from my Windows 10 Desktop computer. Both are already presumably properly set up in Samba and FSTAB such that after rebooting them I can still access those shared drives on my Windows PC after doing the initial map network drive. I thought I could just select all in one mapped drive and paste to the recipient PC's mapped drive leaving both Linux computers and my Win10 machine overnight, but it seems to get interrupted overnight perhaps due to network stability issues, so I was wondering if there was a better way to do it.

The other option would be to disconnect the 1T usb disk and 2T sata disk and connect them to your new Linux PC, mount the shares locally. Then copy the files over to your new disk, that way the copying will go faster because it will be done locally within the PC and not going over the network.

The other option would be to disconnect the 1T usb disk and 2T sata disk and connect them to your new Linux PC, mount the shares locally. Then copy the files over to your new disk, that way the copying will go faster because it will be done locally within the PC and not going over the network.
I'd rather not deal with disassembling the computers multiple times. Perhaps if it does not work I will try something like Goodsync.

I'd rather not deal with disassembling the computers multiple times. Perhaps if it does not work I will try something like Goodsync.
I was just thinking what would be fast and that was the option without network. The other option would be to use rsync over ssh, which should be faster than copying over the network from one samba share to another samba share.

I was just thinking what would be fast and that was the option without network. The other option would be to use rsync over ssh, which should be faster than copying over the network from one samba share to another samba share.
Listen to f33dm3bits his answers are exactly what I would give you. Transferring that amount of data over lan will also slam that lan for quite a while. It would be worth it to pull the drives and plug them in so you can do a direct transfer. We are talking at least 100x faster and no issues with losing stability on the network. Sometimes as a tech or admin you need to do this. It sounds like you are putting a windows computer in the middle of this which will double the amount of time needed. Choose wisely and just follow his suggestion.

If you don't want to do it, then rsync as mentioned is the best way. Keep windows out of the mix as it may be the source of the problem.

I ended up using hardware rather than the network as some here suggested. Rather than disassembling the computer, I will use a 2TB USB drive (obviously this will be done in 2 rounds as I am copying 3 TB of data) to move the data. I connected it and formatted, etc... Then I used crontab to execute the copy task and after I heard the HDD move, I commented out the cp task in crontab -e to keep it from running again. Hopefully it will work. Crontab seems to be like an internal user that keeps running even after I logout from SSH, so this should not be dependent upon LAN stability.

Members online

Latest posts