Crypsetup error during install new kernel (Linux-5.12.14)

zkg

Reaction score
Credits
Hi, I'm new in Linux, now I want to install a new kernel Linux-5.12.14 in my KNOPPIX 9.1 distribution for education purposes. I have done the compilation. But when I run "make install", I found error of cryptsetup. Can anyone help me to fix this?

Below is the error:

Error! Build of v4l2loopback.ko failed for: 5.12.14 (1686) Make sure the name of the generated module is correct and at the root of the build directory, or consult make. log in the build directory /var/lib/dkms/v412loopback/0.12.5/build/ for more information.

run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/initramfs-tools 5.12.14 /boot/vmlinuz-5.12 .14

update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-5.12.14 W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/renesas_usb_fw.mem for built-in driver xhci _pci

cryptsetup: ERROR: Couldn't resolve device rootfs

cryptsetup: WARNING: Couldn't determine root device cryptsetup: ERROR: Couldn't resolve device unionfs

W: mkconf: MD subsystem is not loaded, thus I cannot scan for arrays. W: mdadm: failed to auto-generate temporary mdadm.conf file.

root@Microknoppix:/home/knoppix/linux-5.12.14#

Knoppix is a Live distribution which means you can't install it and you run it from a flash drive. In order to boot into a new kernel you would have to reboot in order to boot into it. Since Knoppix is a Live distribution you would end up with the same kernel again. If you to run a newer kernel I would choose a different distribution which you can actually install and depending on the distribution you choose you wouldn't even need to compile it yourself.

Members online