Compiling programs

From reading this:
https://www.ghacks.net/2017/10/27/linux-mint-kde-is-out-lmde-3-is-in/

It just looks like the mint devs are dropping the KDE flavour, because they themselves are more focused on GTK/Gnome based development, rather than QT.

But I'm sure that all of the QT/KDE applications will still be available in the repositories.
The KDE desktop may also be available in the Mint repositories - it just won't be available as a default desktop in any of their official versions.

So the mint devs are only dropping their official KDE re-spin of Mint - with KDE pre-installed.

The KDE project itself seems to be thriving still.
I'm not sure why Jovie got dropped.
All I can find out at the moment is that it never got ported from QT4 to QT5.

I didn't bookmark the site, but I read something last night about a Speech library that is built-in to QT5 - so perhaps that is why Jovie has been dropped.

KDE projects are all based on QT, so if QT has a library which natively supports TTS, then I suppose it makes sense to drop Jovie and use the QT TTS module instead.

Here's the home-page for the QT TTS module:
https://wiki.qt.io/QtSpeech
Looks like it's still a WIP.

I read a claim elsewhere that it is possible to manually re-compile Okular from source and enable TTS via the new QT5 TTS library by enabling the TTS option in the config before building.

But that article also claimed that adding TTS currently causes some instability in Okular, which is why most Linux distros are shipping their pre-built versions of Okular with TTS disabled.

So perhaps we will see the TTS support restored to Okular when/if it becomes more stable. IDK!

Is f***ing unbelievable what are you learning when you ask the right people!!!
Thanks again guys.

On the trail but have to go out shortly.

Capta, with your LM 18.3 MATE, the following

51tiwK6.png

and

vV0ZTQG.png

... so espeak already installed, and jovie just needs to be installed.

Arch-based, only looked at Manjaro so far, it has espeak in its repos, but no jovie.

Code:
sudo pacman -Syy

#updates your databases, then

sudo pacman -S espeak

Cheers

Wizard
I think most of us speak better Geek, than Greek! :D:D:D

Sta, that is SO bad I wish I had thought of it :rolleyes:

Thanks Chris I will try once I will be back home. I’m still in the seminar now.

On the trail but have to go out shortly.

Capta, with your LM 18.3 MATE, the following

51tiwK6.png

and

vV0ZTQG.png

... so espeak already installed, and jovie just needs to be installed.

Arch-based, only looked at Manjaro so far, it has espeak in its repos, but no jovie.

Code:
sudo pacman -Syy

#updates your databases, then

sudo pacman -S espeak

Cheers

Wizard

Sta, that is SO bad I wish I had thought of it :rolleyes:

For now Jovie IS still in the repos, but it's only a matter of time before it is removed because it is no longer being developed or maintained by the KDE team.

So you could install jovie and use it to set up some different voices to use for plain text documents in different languages. But I don't know how much longer it will be available for.

But installing Jovie will not restore TTS functionality to the KF5/QT5 version of Okular because Okulars TTS support was disabled at build-time by the package maintainers.

The KDE4 version of Okular had a few TTS related menu-items in the tools menu, which were only enabled when Jovie was installed and would allow you to read a page, or an entire document aloud. The QT5 version does not have these options available.

Here's a screenshot from the QT4 version of Okular which I have installed on my Windows 7 PC at work:
QT4Okular-windows.png

Note: In the above image the options to "speak whole document", "speak whole page" and "stop speaking" are greyed out because I don't have jovie on my Windows PC. I don't think jovie was ever ported to windows.

In the qt5 version of Okular, those menu items simply aren't there. And it is my understanding that this is because the TTS functionality/integration has been excluded from the build by the package maintainers.

I think Jovie is probably one of the last QT4 based applications left in the repos of the Debian based distros. Until recently the KDE4/QT4 version of Dolphin (KDE's file explorer) was in the repos alongside the KF5/QT5 based version. But that was removed recently. So Jovie is probably on borrowed time.

However, from a quick web search, it seems that if you use a GTK/Gnome based desktop AND you have Orca installed, you can open a document in Evince (Gnomes document viewer/e-reader) and Orca can read it aloud for you.

I've never used orca, so I don't know much about it.
Here are a couple of YT vids that demonstrate/explain how to set-up and use orca.
I haven't checked them out myself, so apologies if they are no good! If not, I'm sure there are plenty of other orca related vids on YT!

The only thing with orca is - I think it will read whatever is in the currently active window. So when you start it reading your PDF document, you'd have to keep the pdf reader window active the whole time. If you switch to a different window, it will start reading that instead.

I've never used orca, so I don't know much about it.

I don't think you'd like it, unless you like the sound of Stephen Hawking's voice, but try it for the experience, and yes, it will read anything you try across the desktop.

You can often switch it off using Alt-Super-s where Super is your Windows key, or in Ubuntu-based Distros, something like System Settings - Keyboard Shortcuts - Universal Access - Turn Screen Reader On or Off .

My bet is you will opt to turn it off. :D

Wizard

Guys my laptop’s charger is out of order so I can’t use it for the moment, I will revert once I solve this problem.

Thanks again everyone for your time.

I don't think you'd like it, unless you like the sound of Stephen Hawking's voice, but try it for the experience, and yes, it will read anything you try across the desktop.

You can often switch it off using Alt-Super-s where Super is your Windows key, or in Ubuntu-based Distros, something like System Settings - Keyboard Shortcuts - Universal Access - Turn Screen Reader On or Off .

My bet is you will opt to turn it off. :D

Wizard

I won't be installing orca at all, heh heh!
I was just mentioning it as a potential alternative to jovie. I'd imagine orca has a way to set up the parameters for the speech engine though (pitch, speed, language/accent etc).

I rarely use espeak. I originally installed it to give "Betty" a voice. Betty being a Ruby based personal assistant for the terminal. I had to hack Betty a little to add espeak support, because it uses a couple of other speech engines - but I think that project is unmaintained now. I don't think betty works properly any more! :(

I also added espeak support to my "note" application, so my PC could read bedtime stories to my kids - heh heh!

And that only came about because one weekend, I used espeak to prank my youngest son into thinking that my laptop was talking to him. But it worked a little too well. For a while he was convinced that my laptop was alive. Then he insisted that my laptop should read him his bedtime story... So that's how that happened! XD

The first night, I'd used note to quickly type up one of his favourite stories and had to manually pipe the file through espeak.
The next day, I added espeak support to note so I could get note to automatically read the story without having to write a huge command.

But I rarely use espeak any more!

That said, if I'm going to be away from my PC (e.g. making a cup of tea, or dealing with the kids) I do have a little script I wrote somewhere that will allow me to run scripts and audibly monitor their output.

So I can set something running and it will pipe the output to a temporary file which is read aloud by espeak.

Haven't used it in a while though, so I can't remember the name of it..... Will have to have a dig through my personal bin directory and see if I can find it!

I LOVE that story about your boy, I've gotta tell Elaine that one :p

Hello guys!

I just solve charger's issue but I still have problems with TTS.
I can't enable orca by any way. I tried super + Alt + s.
Alt + F2.
Menu - screen reader.
I don't know what I'm doing wrong but orca is installed already.

My bad, my friend :oops:

I know that keyboard combo from another Distro or six but apparently not so with LM. Never ASSUME, because then you make an ASS out of U and ME :D

If you want to try it, it is as easy as going to Terminal and type and enter

Code:
orca

You may have some output about Python (I do). Which will hang without returning you to the prompt, doesn't matter. Play around with it, come here and highlight some text, or even highlight the text in Terminal. See the following screenshots.

3UuNQGd.png
https://i.imgur.com/3UuNQGd.png

7UB0KEZ.png

To stop it (if launched from Terminal), hit Ctrl-c , or open a new Terminal and type and enter

Code:
killall orca

If you decide you want to try it some more, go to Menu - Control Centre - Hardware - Keyboard Shortcuts.

Scroll down past Sound and Desktop to Accessibility.

There, you will likely see Toggle Screen Reader listed as Disabled.

Click it and type in your key combo of choice (if it is not already assigned).

I've chosen the one I referred to earlier, and once entered, it shows as Alt + Mod4 + S ... same thing.

Holh0n4.png

... another ALTERNATIVE to the Terminal Ctrl - c or "killall" option but takes longer, is to go to Menu.

Choose System Tools - System Monitor (or just type in System Monitor), click the Processes tab, scroll down to Orca, and follow the prompts to End Process.

Cheers

Wiz

Good morning @wizardfromoz

I set my shortcut and working properly as can you see on second screenshot but I can't hear anything even I open text files or PDFs, whatever.
Screenshot at 2018-05-31 09-11-48.png
Screenshot at 2018-05-31 09-18-22.png

Should I have do something more ?

No, with the shot from GUI, that was right.

Once you then hit Alt-Super-s, the sound should have started, and wherever you moved the mouse to, or highlighted or clicked anything, the sound should continue....

You then appear to have opened Terminal and typed in "orca", and if Orca were not already running, likewise that would have started it.

The last two lines you have there indicate that Orca is running at that time, have you tried

Code:
orca --replace
as it suggests?

Bleeding obvious question is if your sound system is otherwise working OK and does it make a difference with headset on?

Can't think of another solution at the moment, but will put my thinking cap on in place of my Wizard's hat.

Cheers

Wiz

Bleeding obvious question is if your sound system is otherwise working OK

OK, funny. I was wondering why it wasn't working for me too... then found my speakers were turned off. You are such a smart Wizard! (But I am also glad to turn it off again... YUK! I could not listen to that for long.)

I hope the solution is as simple for the Captain!

Cheers

Ta for the feedback Stan :). For the record, what Distro and DE were you using?

YUK! I could not listen to that for long.

I am inclined to agree :eek:. But I am slow to bucket anything, when I have created nothing similar myself. I gave the Killer Whale (orca is the name for the killer whale, for those whom may not know) a run for its money while researching Capta's dilemma, and I think the good folk at GNOME gave it a REALLY good shot. If somebody could take that ball and run with it a bit more, it has the makings of a good product?

Cheers all

Wiz

Latest posts