Chromebook issues...

Retro-Geek76

Reaction score
Credits
I was wondering if I could please pick someone's brain.

I recently came in possession of a Asus C223NA Chromebook for a fair price on eBay.
Never owned a Chromebook in all honesty, and as I a (all things )PC tinkerer, and firm Linux enthusiast, I gave it a go.

Chrome OS wasn't really my bag, but I did love the style of the small form factor.

So tried many Linux distros to see what would fit the bill.

Tried MX, which I've loved for many years. Ran sweet, but couldn't get the dreaded sound to work, no matter what.

Moved to Mint, same issue... And noticed the touchpad would stop working now and then.

That was to name a few... Issues just got worse.

I spent days, and most nights Searching for answers...

I kinda gave up, and just decided to flash the stock system back.

Now...

I got the Firmware so-called flashed back.

But...

It's say the Chrome OS is broken, and when I do a recovery image from the Chrome Extension as discussed, it goes so far. Then flashes up ( an unexpected problem) and fails...

Please, does anyone have any ideas, or had this issue before??

Or have I just turned this little Chromebook into a paperweight...

I have tried flashing a new recovery image, many times, used different USBs, and tried it in NTFS and Fat32...

Thanks up front

Matt

Try Fossapup or EasyOS. I find that the Puppy family is easy to configure accessories.
Thank you for the reply.

I'm not sure how to even get anything else booted up now.
I have no options on power up, to even boot another OS.

I get a white screen, with (Chrome OS may be broken)

And when I eventually get it to turn in with the USB recovery. (It verifies ok, then starts system recovery in progress for a few minutes)... But then fails and tells me to visit Chrome OS website for help.

I'm not sure how to even get anything else booted up now.
It’s not new to ME.
I had miserable time with my Acer 720.
The only way is to Google until you hit some help with similar make/model.
I would never buy a Chromebook ever again.
MrChromebook is a good source of information.

Trust me... I think this will be my last Chromebook too mate.

I've finally got there... It was not just doing what it was doing, it was corrupted too.

I hooked it up to my Linux workhorse, connected my CH341A and hit the terminal.

It was a VPD error on the backup ROM it made.

I have no idea what happened, or whether it just socked the hell outta the Spi chip what I typed lol... But when I almost gave up, cause it wouldn't inject the VPD into MrChromebook's firmware files. I slammed the Chromebook back together, gave it one last shot. And it installed the backup first go.

SOLVED......

Members online

Latest posts