Checking APU/System Temp?

LinHappyMan

Reaction score
Credits
Hello there, are there any ways to check the temperature of my APU and system? To keep a tab on the fans and make sure that all is well?

I tried PSensor and others but to no usable information (not displaying the temperatures even though I did the command line thing to scan the sensors and so on).

I use GKrellM System Monitor. (found in Software Manager)

One dog talking to another, it seems (avatars) - Brian @Condobloke is another Aussie, so he understands :rolleyes: ... my sense of humour, that is.

I tried PSensor and others but to no usable information...

That's unusual - Jean-Philippe Orsini's psensor usually gets good reported results around Linux.

APUs of course are AMD and cursory searches I have made seem to indicate psensor has no problem with that.

Not having better knowledge on the subject, I would try Brian's advice above, but if you want to stay with psensor, the Jean-Philippe has addresses as can be found at the bottom of this link here

https://gitlab.com/jeanfi/psensor

Cheers

Wizard

I tried PSensor and others but to no usable information (not displaying the temperatures even though I did the command line thing to scan the sensors and so on).
Open your bios and look under power manager or hardware and see if any temps are seen.
If no temps are found than a good chance of no sensors on the motherboard.

Have you downloaded and installed lm-sensors.

Open the terminal and copy and paste

sudo apt install lm-sensors

press enter
then enter password then press enter

To setup lm-sensors open terminal and enter

sudo sensors-detect

then enter password and follow the prompts and answer yes to all questions.

when finished enter sensors and if any were found than they will display a reading.

https://askubuntu.com/questions/53762/how-to-use-lm-sensors

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SensorInstallHowto

Last edited by a moderator:
I use GKrellM System Monitor. (found in Software Manager)
Thanks! Looks like it working comparable better than the others.
Screenshot from 2018-12-29 11-18-41.png

As it is showing realistic temps and I know for a fact that it tracking the fans for sure (the top is the APU assembly fan, followed by the stock fan, followed by the two case fans at the front as they are both fed in the same dual fan line as the motherboard only have two fan headers).

So this should at least tell me if one of the fan(s) goes. Either by the considerable temp increase OR if one of the RPM starts to dip way down thus probably going to die sooner or later.

GKrellM System Monitor looks pretty cool learned something new about Linux software today.

Even with no system hardware monitoring software installed if a system fan or case fan was to fail a failure would be detected by the bios and a warning would show up at boot.

This only hold true for fans connected to fan headers on the motherboard.

GKrellM System Monitor looks pretty cool learned something new about Linux software today.

Even with no system hardware monitoring software installed if a system fan or case fan was to fail a failure would be detected by the bios and a warning would show up at boot.

This only hold true for fans connected to fan headers on the motherboard.
Interesting I didn't even know that the included BIOS will let me know if a directly connected fan would to fail at boot.

That's the price I paid for under provisioning the board but like I said I can probably sense the temp variations to asses if one of the dual connected fans would had fail or on the way of failing. Since the remaining ones are directly connected (the back fan which is stock but I have 3 spare fans at the ready for it as it said that stock fans tends to not lasts and it rare for one to surpass 2 years, and of course the APU assembly which I already have a 95W replacement CPU assembly.)

Hell I've got 10 year old cheap oem fans still running strong.

Old hardware was built to last instead of this modern crap which is made to take a dump and crap out in a couple of years.

Processor fans and at least one case fan is usually what is plugged into motherboard headers and monitored.

Case fans don't make that big of deal if they fail.
Power supply and GPU and processor fans are the ones you need working and when any of those fail you will know.

Hell I've got 10 year old cheap oem fans still running strong.

Old hardware was built to last instead of this modern crap which is made to take a dump and crap out in a couple of years.
It's the similar deal with appliances from fridges and washing machines. I was told that in those days you could easily get someone to come and fix them on the rare occasion that they do clock out. Good luck getting someone to even fix a fridge and a washer left alone a toaster...

I was told that in those days...

(Wizard appears in a puff of smoke humming "Those Were The Days, My Friend..." - has absolutely nothing of value to add to the Thread, just casts a spell for a Safe and Happy New Year for one and all)

Might take a look at that one (GKrellM) myself :) - he's a pretty cool dude, our Condobloke :cool:, although I suspect he's pretty hot where he lives, currently (Philippines)

Cheers all

Wiz (disappears still humming)

Staff online

Members online