Case insensitive aliases?

rado84

Reaction score
Credits
I wasn't sure if this topic is for the CLI subforum but since the question is partly about CLI, I decided to put it here.

I have over 200 aliases which I don't wanna nor I wanna redefine with capital letters, so I'm wondering if there's something to write in ~/.bashrc where the aliases are located in order to make them case insensitive. For instance, I have this alias "ffb" which executes several commands and creates a backup of Firefox's user profile. Sometimes I forget the Caps Lock activated and when I type "FFB", the terminal says there's no such a command.
I found this

Code:
setopt extendedglob
unsetopt CASE_GLOB

as a possible answer but I don't wanna do that globally (something tells me that the word "GLOB" means "globally" for the entire system), I want case insensitivity only for the aliases, so that when I type "FFB", the commands from the alias would still be executed.

Hi rado84.

I do not have nearly as many aliases as you, but your request seems to be a useful one.

I did a Duck search for "Case insensitive bash aliases" and found these websites. The info is too technical for me but you might find something of value.

Good luck.

Vektor

Members online