Cannot access Samba shares on secondary drive

B

Bassmann

Hi there,
I have a Debian 8 system running Samba and are having trouble with the shares. There are 2 shares of which 1 is accessible and the other isn't.

Here's what I have checked.
- Samba has a valid user setup to access shares. I'm using the same account to access both shares
- The permissions on the 2 shared folders are identical
- The share setup in the smb.conf is identical except for the path and share name.
- I can browse to both shares from 'Browse Network' on the local machine and a windows desktop on the same network.
  • When I try to access the working share on the local machine via 'Browse Network' it prompts be for user and password and then accepts it. When I try to access the non working share it keeps bouncing me back to password screen
The other thing worth mentioning is about the location of the shares
- The share I can access is in my Home directory
- The one I cannot is on a 2nd HHD, xvdc. Its formatted, has a label, is mounted and I can read write files to it.
The path comes up as
/media/root/Data_FS1/Shares/Data
where Data_FS1 is the label of the partition.

In the smb.conf its entered as
path = /media/root/Data_FS1/Shares/Data

I'm not sure what to do next. Any sugestions appreciate.

I also tried adding some media from the same path into minidlna which does not show up, but does if I add from my home directory.

I've learnt that additional partitions are mapped to /media/user and I'm thinking this is where I'm being blocked. At this stage the Share 'Data' has the appropriate permissions. Is there something else I need to set further up the directory tree to create a share that is mapped to /media/user

Thanks,

Members online