Can I create my own folder in /home and mount an OS-shared partition to it?

ST3G0SAURU5

Reaction score
Credits

I'm dualbooting Windows and Linux on my SSD, but mounted my /home directory to a "LinuxMain" partition, and moved my Windows "User(s?)" folder on a "WindowsMain" partition.

I also have a third NTFS partition on which I want to save files I'd want to access on both Operating systems.
On that partition I'd save simple image, text and etc files, but also programs I can run on both Windows and Linux.

Following Situation:
I have Steam installed on both OSs, a neat feature of steam is that you can install games to any directories, so I can install Steam on my SSD and download games to my HDD.

This works fine on windows, but it doesn't work on Linux.

On Linux I can only access directories on root/.

I've done a little research and found out that this is supposedly really easy to fix by mounting my Shared partition to a specific directory, now, Im facing the following problem:

I don't know if Linux will be okay with me creating a new folder in my home/ directory.
I also don't know if mounting my Shared partition to such a folder would be a good idea.
So... following Question:

Can I create folders in my home/ directory without any major consequences and, if I can, can I simply mount my Shared partition to such a folder and thereby access the files that are already on it?

Last edited:

Follow up question, this would be my last resort if I can't create folders in my home/ partition, or just a neat little thing I could do to sort my whole Setup a bit:

Could I create a new user on Linux, and mount this user's Account folder (The [USERNAME] folder in home/) to my Shared partition?

I don't know if that'd be such a good idea because the partition is formatted in NTFS, but it'd be really cool to have a Linux user that could kinda check on the whole shared partition filesystem.

Can I create folders in my home/ directory without any major consequences and, if I can, can I simply mount my Shared partition to such a folder and thereby access the files that are already on it?
Yes it is possible to create another directory in /home without any consequences but in general /home is used for home directories and you can also mount a specific partitions on a home directory location if you like. I generally wouldn't recommend using NTFS since you have to install a separate driver for it so you're better of using ext4 or another filesystem that is already available. What exactly are you wanting or trying to do?

Members online

Latest posts